Deep Freeze [Large] [Very Hard] [Challenge/Puzzle] [KS+]

• 41 Replies
Re: Deep Freeze [Large] [Very Hard] [Challenge/Puzzle] [KS+]
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 16:27:13 »
Fantastic level, beautiful maps and awesome puzzles. I love this level  :D Thank you )))

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 20:23:04 »
The problem for me is that once you teleport to the glowing beacon, it will nullify the teleport effect. So 0:24-0:26 in the video will not happen.
OH.  That's the issue!  Your KS+ is out of date!

Fantastic level, beautiful maps and awesome puzzles. I love this level  :D Thank you )))
You're welcome, and thank you for enjoying it!
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Mitorun

• Web Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Knytt Stories fan website
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2017, 04:58:32 »
Recently published many quality levels KnyttStories. But this level is not just good, he regained the lost sense of pleasure from the game. The beginning was exciting, more was a bit boring, but in the second half of the interest is back again, and I was afraid of the moment when the game is over. Many thanks to the author of this masterpiece. He brought the impressions for which I loved KnyttStories.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

P.S. I apologize in advance if the message is not clear. It has been translated by Google Translator.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 05:04:28 »
That's okay, I think I get the message well enough!  I'm glad you enjoyed the level so much.  I agree that the music probably could have been a bit lengthier and perhaps more varied.  I think it's mainly an issue with the difficulty of the level; players spend long periods of time on just one screen.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2017, 17:39:05 »
Amazing level!  :O I really like hard platforming so this is a real treat!

The difficulty level has a good curve in my taste, both platforming wise and puzzle wise. Its cool how the shift effect forces you to think about both timing and positioning at the same tame
I like how the sectors establishes their own kind of "genre" of challenges and does variations within it.

Its nice that you get sectors to differ in feeling even though the graphics are so minimal.
I really liked the "rain on steel tank" kinda ambience sound.
Nice music that fits perfectly!
Some songs obscure the countdown sound for the shifts, annoying at first but then I got used to it.

I havent finished the level yet and I'll savor the rest of it!  C)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 17:48:41 by BanderAnder »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 01:07:41 »
Incredible level!!! I didn't feel any bumps in difficulty, everything felt very polished. The only gripe I had sometimes is that I had to turn off the music to hear the teleports ticking and was forgetting to turn it back on. Speaking of which, the music is also great!

Spoiler: Bugs (click to show/hide)
BTW, maybe cyan artifacts could be traded for 1 red artifact to give them purpose?

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 22:42:56 »
Incredible level!!! I didn't feel any bumps in difficulty, everything felt very polished. The only gripe I had sometimes is that I had to turn off the music to hear the teleports ticking and was forgetting to turn it back on. Speaking of which, the music is also great!

Spoiler: Bugs (click to show/hide)
BTW, maybe cyan artifacts could be traded for 1 red artifact to give them purpose?

I'm glad you enjoyed it!  Part of me wants to turn the music down, but then it ends up being too quiet for general listening.  It's a shame there's not a way to duck the music while the ticks play.

Re:save point: Fair.  I'll add one there.
Re: x997y998: Wow, that's a nice find!  Unfortunately, I have absolutely no clue on how to fix it.  Any ideas?

Spoiler: Secret Bugs (click to show/hide)

Trading in the cyan artifacts wouldn't be a bad idea.  At this point, it's a bit of a struggle for me to even open up Deep Freeze, so I'm not sure I'll bother, but it's good food for thought.  
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2017, 01:12:16 »
Re: x997y998: Wow, that's a nice find!  Unfortunately, I have absolutely no clue on how to fix it.  Any ideas?
I think you can use a flag warp at x997y997 with a flag being set in x997y998 at position x9y0 and turned off when you go through or head back.

Trading in the cyan artifacts wouldn't be a bad idea.  At this point, it's a bit of a struggle for me to even open up Deep Freeze, so I'm not sure I'll bother, but it's good food for thought.
It would also require removing one red artifact, which isn't good.

I've been having an idea to convert Deep Freeze into a KS Ex level to fix sound issues.

Offline David C

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2019, 06:14:13 »
i only actually started playing this level now, and i love it. 1005x966 is my favorite room so far. I have one question though, in room 996x961, is it possible to complete it if you press the button to remove the block at x=10 y=8? The intended solution is good but it feels like it would be cool if there was some super-precise jump that made it work without the extra block to jump on.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:16:38 by David C »

Offline pacifishi

• Av intet blir intet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 02:24:25 »
I created an account just to say how much of a joy this level was to play. Perhaps the most memorable experience I've had after playing 100+ custom levels over the years. Such a creative use of puzzle mechanics (in particular the musical arrows, hologram, and key puzzle). Is your music online somewhere? There is one song in particular with a deep 808 beat (heard in the western most room on the green portion of the map) that was very catchy that wasn't listed in the credits.

I also very much enjoyed how the player was able to freely-roam different sections of the map while still knowing what to work towards and not feeling like they're missing out on the paths they haven't explored yet. This was accomplished both by having a map and clearly marked doors. What a relief to complete a section and earning a golden animal, knowing that I didn't miss anything and can focus on the next part.

As an aside - any use for the red tokens to collect around the map that can be obtained revisiting areas after beating the game?

Every section has it's own unique style, challenges, and feeling. There were multiple times where I reached what I felt was the end of the level just to have another amazing phase unfold. Not much more can be said that already hasn't been said by others but both the artistic quality and your understanding of game-design blew me away. Great work!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:56:39 by pacifishi »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 07:45:24 »
Thank you so much! I only intermittently receive feedback on Deep Freeze since it's basically designed for a niche of a niche, but it always makes me happy to hear how much people were able to enjoy it. It's a strange, very long, and extremely tough level, and I put years of effort into it, so it's nice to see that pay off, even if only in small amounts. The soundtrack never actually got a proper release, but you're the second person in recent memory to ask for one. I think maybe I'll get to that right about now.

As I recall, the red artifacts activate a secret that restarts the whole game at the beginning, with a couple small but very significant differences. If it's as I remember it, I'm not necessarily sure that the game is worth replaying that way, but there nevertheless *is* something to be seen if you collect those artifacts!

Looking back on it, I learned a ton of very important lessons when developing Deep Freeze that have gone on to inform my developing methodology of how to pace a game appropriately. Since Deep Freeze finished development, I've worked on four tiny-sized additional games with a fifth, medium-scale project currently in development. If you're curious to learn about all those, I post semi-regular updates on my current project on Twitter (https://twitter.com/Ultigonio), with downloads for my other games available here: https://ultigonio.itch.io/. Thank you again for playing Deep Freeze!
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2020, 01:12:04 »
https://ultigonio.bandcamp.com/album/deep-freeze-ost

Several years later - here's the official release of Deep Freeze's soundtrack. Enjoy!
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud