Pump It!Chill Out [Small] [Puzzle/Challenge] [Medium/Hard] [KS+]

• 9 Replies

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
You are dropped from the heavens - before you, a choice: "Pump It?"

(It's a download link, click it.)

Pump It!Chill Out (abbreviated as "Pump It" or just "PI!CO" 'cause I think that's pretty cute) is a collaborative effort between myself and Sergio Cornaga, created for the Knytt Swapsies event on Glorious Trainwrecks.  The level was started by him, and finished by me.  The concept behind its creation was to have a KS level that sort of played along with the music, which the PUMP IT side of things mostly accomplishes (although it got pretty difficult to control for at the end).  However, when I heard the track Sergio included to be played on the anti-Pump-It side, I got a totally different idea and decided to create a small, self-contained, non-linear series of very easy puzzles (since I more-or-less wanted this side to be the antithesis of its bombastic, harshly linear brother).  

The end result is that PI!CO plays like two entirely different levels, sitting right next to each other, sharing very little beyond their simplistic visual style.  It's a bit strange, but I'm really quite fond of the end result, and I hope you will be, too!

(...If you missed the download link, it's the image above.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 20:37:25 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: Pump It!Chill Out [Small] [Puzzle/Challenge] [Medium/Hard] [KS+]
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 10:29:39 »
Both sides are worth doing. It's quite a treat of a level.

This event turned out better than I could have imagined!
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 04:12:54 »
Wow this level was cool. I pumped it first and was pleasantly surprised by what happened next. After finishing I didn't pump it and was pleased with the puzzles. Great work guys. :)

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 20:40:10 »
The level has been updated to version 1.2!  Changes include "Win" cutscenes for both sides by Sergio, some small changes to a few screens with a bit of cleanup here and there, and a significantly reduced filesize.

Also, I didn't say it before, but I'm glad you guys liked it!  Sergio's concept was excellent, and I really worked my tail off to finish the level in a way that I found satisfying.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
As the co-creator of this level, I figured I ought to appear in this thread. Here's a recording of me playing through the Pump It! path, just so I'm adding some content. And needless to say, I'm extremely happy with how Ultigonio wrapped up this level.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
That was fun. :) I chilled first, which was nice. The puzzles weren't that hard but I know how hard it is to create puzzles so I won't criticise. I liked the mechanic of that area.
Spoiler: Chill out. (click to show/hide)

Then I pumped it... phew!
Spoiler: PUMP IT! (click to show/hide)

I preferred the music of Ult's area - just more to my taste. :P Though the dolphin song was a bit surreal. (That sentence reads like one of those posts where you deliberately write gibberish to confuse people who haven't played the level yet). Both tracks were too loud however; this was less of a problem in Sergio's side but I had no idea that there was a custom shift sound on the triggers in Ult's area.

I was gonna say how much I liked the translucent tiles and the starry background, then I realised I was just looking at the sun illuminating the dust on my laptop screen. So thanks for making the dust so pretty! (And for showing me I needed to wipe my laptop screen!)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 14:25:44 by Talps »

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
REALLY NICE. I decided to pump it first (cause I like getting harder stuff out of the way, heh), and WOAH was that fast-paced. The Chill Out section was very calming and had some pretty dang nice puzzles!!
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

A very nice effort from the both of you. I give it an 8/10.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
I liked the idea of pump it up more but my terribleness at the game made me end up enjoying the chill out better. I grew to like the puzzle elements, or rather how they worked, more as it went on. Great fun on both paths though.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
I don't know why but this is one of those levels that I'll go back and play for the fun. Such a great level. :)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 17:41:53 »
I never got a chance to comment on this level and all the others levels made for the Knytt Swapsies event, despite having played most of them back when they were released  :sad:  Better late than never, I guess...

I was very impressed with the level of creativity and polish displayed here :D  I really enjoyed both sections! The puzzles on the "Chill out" area were clever and made great use of KS+'s triggers, while the "Pump it" area reminded me a lot of Don't stop running by Kyodo, but better executed and much more forgiving (every screen required a fast reaction, but none of them felt unfair). Also, the choice of music for each area felt spot on, and I agree with Purple Ink that this is a level with quite a lot of replay value. Great work!
Some KS levels by me: