The Simple Hike [Very Easy] [Very Small] [Enviromental]

• 5 Replies

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
Wow. I haven't made a knytt stories level in.... 4 years?
After I burned myself out on my 'Run the Gauntlet" levels, I guess I needed a break from KS.

But now I have returned (for now at least).

This is a VERY short level that is essentially just me getting my feet wet again. Nothing fancy here. No custom work or shifts. I did however try to push my artistic side though and tried to add depth to the scenery. I would very much so appreciate feed back on how I did with that.

And don't worry, unlike in the Run the Gauntlet levels, there is no heavy handed story being shoved into your face here.
So yeah. Feedback would be lovely as I intend to start on a new level soon and will probably try my hand at custom backgrounds again.

So anyways, Here it is.

Hope y'all enjoy.

Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: The Simple Hike [Very Easy] [Very Small] [Enviromental]
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 03:06:09 »
T'was alright. Not too fond of the idea of being invisible-walled at the beginning, but this level was actually a little larger than I thought it would be.

Welcome back.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 13:54:38 »
It was short, simple and had an oldschool-KS feel. I liked it! You know how to add depth to your screens even with vanilla assets of the game.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 14:33:31 »
Good stuff! I liked the level of detail and the backgrounds of the above world, and also the "secret" ending.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Good to have you back, looking forward to seeing more work!

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 01:00:07 »
Nice to see ya back!! (I love it when old forum-goers make a comeback. (*coughs*GIBBUS<3*coughs*))

Level was very cute and small. Like other people said, it honestly kind of did evoke that "olde-style" KS feel. I dug it!

(Kinda wish it didn't end as abruptly, though...)

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 03:25:36 »
Thanks for the kind words everyone!
Nice to hear people liked it.

I did end it abruptly because inspiration dried up really fast as I realized I was just making a practice level. So I took the cheap route at a few places (invisible wall and abrupt end)

I do have a new level in progress, and I'll be keeping all the feedback in mind. It's been great to have such a warm welcome back too!

Thanks again everyone!
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)