Just one screen left... (spoilers)

• 3 Replies

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
Just one screen left... (spoilers)
« on: April 03, 2016, 22:28:10 »
Until today, I always thought some of the screens in Knytt were impossible to reach without using the cheat button combinations or modifying the INI file. So when I decided to do a playthrough today in which I tried to reach as many of the screens as possible with normal physics, I was surprised to learn that almost the entire game can actually be explored this way. In fact, it was a lot more challenging and fun. The only screen I can't seem to reach no matter how hard I try is the one at the top-left. It's clearly not possible to jump there from the screen to the right of it, but not a single one of the teleporters I'm aware of brings me there either. Is it even possible to get to this screen without enhancing your platforming abilities?

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
Re: Just one screen left... (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 02:52:01 »
I just replayed the game in the hope of finding some teleporter leading to that screen. After failing to do so, I fired up my copy of Clicktime Fusion and had a look at the destination coordinates of all 11 teleporters in the game's source code. None of them would help. One of them gives you access to the screens below and to the right of the top-left screen, but you can't jump high or far enough to reach it from there.

So I can only conclude that it really is impossible to reach this screen without any special abilities. This is weirdly inconsistent with the way the rest of the game was designed, but the source code can't lie.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 21:01:31 »
It can't be reached. Nifflas himself pointed that out many years ago. The reason the screen exists is simply because it would have been harder not to get it there, as the whole world is one big rectangle, and with the cheat options in place, it would've been weird anyway.

Being able to reach all other screens is intended though.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 15:00:42 »
I see. Guess that makes sense. Still, it was really frustrating to spend hours hugging the walls all over the game, then figure out how to analyze the teleporters in the source code only to realize there really is no way to get there.

A better option would've been to make the teleporter near the clouds with the cacti bring you there instead of the screen to the right of it. You'd still be able to reach the other cloud screens near it from there.

In fact, I think I'll see if I can modify it myself. I have no experience with Clicktime Fusion, but changing the coordinates should be easy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 15:02:50 by kilicool64 »