[Challenge/Misc.] (Colossal) - The Search for Silence (canceled)

• 8 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
The only true silence...

An adventure through 255 lands, but what purpose will it ultimately serve?

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

Countdown to Completion:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:00:31 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Misc.] (Colossal) - The Search for Silence
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 22:09:55 »
I am impressed with the look of this level.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 22:18:48 »
I am impressed with the look of this level.

It's nothing you couldn't do, I assure you.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 03:33:46 »
I think I got a vague idea of what you're trying to do from the screenshots and the preview level you released. If I'm not mistaken, it's gonna be quite an ordeal to complete this project. If An Excerpt from Silence represents a single area and the full level is going to feature 255 of them... Dang... This is going to be, in fact, colossal :O

Best of luck with this!
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 04:34:30 »
I think I got a vague idea of what you're trying to do from the screenshots and the preview level you released. If I'm not mistaken, it's gonna be quite an ordeal to complete this project. If An Excerpt from Silence represents a single area and the full level is going to feature 255 of them... Dang... This is going to be, in fact, colossal :O

Best of luck with this!

Well, to be fair, the excerpt represents two areas, not just one. Also, not every area is going to be as large as that was. Just the parts I like best.  :P

Love anything

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 20:32:20 »
Really digging some of these screenshots. And definitely looking forward to another major Fubaka level. :nuts:

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 01:59:11 »
It is with regret that I must announce that I no longer have the drive to continue working on this project. In fact, I think I will have to more-or-less retire from the designing of KS levels altogether.

My life and ideals are changing rapidly, and I can no longer afford to spend such an enormous amount of time working on this sort of project.

However, I will not be completely discarding this work. Instead, I will make it available to anyone who wants to have a look at it. They can then decide, if they wish, to continue working on it on their own, and make it into their level, or just cut pieces out that they like. Send me a PM if you wish to receive a folder containing the level's data.

I will not rule out the remote possibility that I may return to this one day. Unless that day comes, I will bow out with a somewhat major update to my newest release, The Column. I will also continue to curate the EPIC KS level competition that I started in January.

See you all on the flip-side.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
This is disheartening. I hope you'll continue to play and comment on levels here from time to time at least. Are you still open to level testing requests? Am I overreacting and this only means an end to 'epic' levels from you?

As for The Search for Silence itself, I'm glad to here you are open to others taking over the reins. While I'd be surprised if someone else was able to finish it on their own, I could see it reaching completion as a community project to spread its ludicrous burden a little more evenly. I admit some interest in this, and if I'm not alone, maybe work on this level isn't quite at an end... maybe it could even continue under your supervision?

P.S. What percentage completion did you reach in the end?

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
This is disheartening. I hope you'll continue to play and comment on levels here from time to time at least. Are you still open to level testing requests? Am I overreacting and this only means an end to 'epic' levels from you?

As for The Search for Silence itself, I'm glad to here you are open to others taking over the reins. While I'd be surprised if someone else was able to finish it on their own, I could see it reaching completion as a community project to spread its ludicrous burden a little more evenly. I admit some interest in this, and if I'm not alone, maybe work on this level isn't quite at an end... maybe it could even continue under your supervision?

P.S. What percentage completion did you reach in the end?

Yeah I'll be sticking around. I just don't think I'll have time for this thing anymore.

Honestly it didn't get too much further than the first fifth. I last left off at the beginning of tileset195, aka the Misc. Mine Filler tileset. Other changes I made were adjustments to the first fifth after the beta testing session for that concluded.

Love anything