Installation of games on Linux systems

• 3 Replies
Installation of games on Linux systems
« on: March 02, 2016, 15:21:27 »
Hello Niffla and Community,

I'm am new to the forum and it's not easy for me to write in english... I am from germany and enjoyed many of these beautiful games on a windows platform. I changed the system now to a Linux Mint (Rosa) Xfce.
Therefor I am new to the procedure of installing games on linux...

I try to install "Battle Cube". So I downloaded the linux-zip file and extracted it. I found 2 executable files:

1. Battle Cube.x86
2. Battle Cube.x86_64

I guess the second one is for 64 bit-systems. I chose the first (32bit).
But when I try to make it run (double-click) I am asked to choose an application for this file...
I have no idea what to choose now...

Could you please make a short instruction of how to install the games on linux?

I'm sorry if might I posted in the wrong category. But maybe it would be nice if there was a generell category for Installation aspects (especially for Linux-Newbies like me  :nuts:)

Thank you in advance!
I'm very happy I stumbled upon your games and creativity!

greetings from germany
SimsalaBimbo

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Re: Installation of games on Linux systems
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 21:22:36 »
It generally depends on the Linux distribution of choice (can't remember how Mint behaves), but generally any downloaded executable files (i.e. those that don't come in a package) are non-executable by default. You need to change the properties of the file (typically right click -> Properties -> Permissions -> Executable checkbox; from command line: chmod +x <filename>) and then it should run with a double click
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 19:27:37 »
Hello AA,

yes, thank you! It works with allowing the file to execute. So far so good. But unfortunately it runs very slow and sticky. I have a small Netbook (Atom-Processor 1,66 GHz, 2GB RAM). Maybe the machine is too slow for this game?
Now, I know how to start the games. I try other ones...

Thank you for help  :D

SimsalaBimbo

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 19:40:35 »
You're welcome :)

Atom CPUs tend to be slow, and Unity games aren't usually very optimized, so unless you have a decent GPU (the CPU would still be a bottleneck even then), they won't run great. I'm sure Battle Cube isn't particularly demanding, but Netbooks aren't meant for games.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone