[Environmental] Untitled Project

• 32 Replies

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
[Environmental] Untitled Project
« on: January 20, 2016, 20:03:10 »
Hello everyone,

I haven't been active here for quite a while. Some of you may remember my levels such as Pestilence, etc. I haven't been knytting at all in these past few years, but last autumn I've started working on a new level. I've always wanted to build something as large as Gaia, only with more fleshed-out and realistic (as in, no chocolate cities) environments. That's what I'm doing now, but just as something to help me relax every now and again, because knytting has that effect on me these days.

I'm sorry to say that the level isn't very, um, new or modern? All tilesets are from a long time ago and most were used in at least a few levels, because I suck at pixel art, but want nice-looking graphics. There are no tricky shifts, challenges, or any handiwork of that sort - like I said, the level is very much like Gaia in concept, only hopefully a bit more pleasing to the eyes. And as much as I appreciate egomassive's work, my level doesn't use any KS+ capabilities.

It's really something of a private affair, just something for me to do, like a model ship or something. I never thought of releasing this to the public, but my website logs tell me that even in 2016 some people are looking for my levels - so strange to see KS is still alive today! - and so I've reuploaded those, and I'm putting this topic up in case anyone is interested in another level from me. Only if you liked Pestilence etc.,, this one is not experimental at all. Here are a few screenshots to give you some idea of the thing. They're all from the first continent. I hope to finish at least one continent eventually, and three if everything goes according to plan. I've no idea how many screens there are already, sorry.

(I like doing tiny changes to the tilesets I'm using, but those take a lot of time, because like I said, I suck at drawing in general and pixel art in particular. I also suck at doing interiors, so you can't go inside any of those houses. Oops! Sure wish this wasn't the case...)

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: [Environmental] Untitled Project
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 20:28:04 »
Nice. I hope you find the time to finish this.

I was just as surprised as you were to find people were still making KS levels with earnest. It inspired me to keep working on my own stuff.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 11:02:08 »
I remember your levels having a very unique style, so I was pretty surprised to see these realistic environments. The screen shots look good. I recognize some of my graphics. It always makes me happy to see them getting used. You should check out our Community Tileset Project for new sets that haven't seen much use yet.

There's no need to apologize for not using KS+, but I'm glad to hear you appreciate it. You can still use the KS+ editor for original KS levels. It makes some things easier; like lining up tiles with adjacent screens, writing sign messages, and getting large scale previews with the space bar. [/self promotion]

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 13:37:39 »
I love how this is looking. Keep it up! I find myself without as much time as I'd like for actually playing Knytt Stories at the moment, so I'm getting a lot out of just hearing about your process and knowing there's a huge world growing on your hard drive... feel free to take your time with it.

I also advocate using KS+ for regular KS stuff if you're not already, and trying out the community tilesets. There's also a tileset I made that I'm quite happy with, but don't feel any pressure to actually use it. [/more self promotion]

I think there might be a few more interesting forum threads worth checking out since you last looked, too... but I'll let you discover them for yourself!

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 13:43:39 »
Those screenshots look pretty good! I especially like the underground tree village and those white rounded buildings. Looks like this level is going to have a good number of different areas to explore :D
Some KS levels by me:

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 16:13:54 »
Thank you all for comments!

@egomassive: I actually do use your editor mod, which is fantastic. In fact, I don't think I'd start knytting again if it weren't for the mod - the original editor is so cumbersome, and the other mods I tried were buggy and/or incomplete. You've done a great job. Same goes for your tilesets, too.

@sergiocornaga: I saw that tileset and loved it. Exactly the kind of detail I like in KS. I'll probably use at it in at least some form, somewhere.

@Vegetal Gibber: I don't know if I can beat Gaia in the number of areas... but I try to at least give every area some depth, different passages, its own critters, etc. , which in Gaia was only present in some areas, and not so much in some others.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 21:21:42 »
All those screens look fantastic   C)p! I don't remember seeing any of those tilesets before, they seem very interesting.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 22:18:24 »
@ixMarcel: Thanks! If you're positive you never saw any of the tilesets, I definitely recommend playing at least Riku Island, one of the early (?) classic levels. It's really beautiful and has those round houses in a different color scheme and arrangement. Screen 1 has some of the houses from Hanseatic City, a tileset used in many places, e.g. in hmpf's Falling Water - sadly abandoned, but there's a part1/beta you can find. It's also a lovely level.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 15:23:04 »
Looks great! Keep at it for us fans!

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 05:21:59 »
This looks great! I hope you can stick with it and finish this.

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 18:35:10 »
Please, don't abandon this project, it looks fantastic. :)
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 23:52:25 »
I've been working on this and added some environments and stuff. Started on a second continent, too. But this post is mainly just to show off the golden drill I shamelessly ripped from somewhere, and repainted/rescaled to make it less conspicuous. I wish it looked more forbidable and, you know, sharp. Oh well? (The drill's body is from a tileset that was once posted here... except that it wasn't meant to be a drill, methinks.)

Also shown in screen 2 is how I plan to creatively (sic!) cannibalize my older levels for this one - some of you may remember the same setting, but with a different gradient.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 00:00:10 by yohji »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 21:40:39 »
I think I got carried away working on an area with a darker sort of mood. Here's a screen from that. Does anyone find it too disturbing? You might need to zoom the picture (as you would in the game) to see that there are three corpses... I wonder if this is a bit too dark for KS.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 22:08:01 »
You can do whatever you want in KS, thats one of it's strongest points. There's no need to worry about that in my opinion. But then I'm a big fan of dark themes and horror in general...

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 02:48:04 »
Hmm, well, there are some dark areas in the level - see this screenshot, for instance. I'm worried specifically about the bloody stuff.