[Challenge/Maze][Hard/Very hard][Medium] Gustav's abstraction

• 9 Replies

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
Some six weeks after the deadline of Lucinda's Gustav level competition I can finally release my entry. I actually started working on completely different level that was supposed to be set inside huge haunted mansion but I was very dissatisfied with it, felt it would be too much work and that I wouldn't be able to finish it on time (lol) and I procrastinated on it a lot so I decided I will make another soapy abstract level because I thought I will be done with it quickly (more lol).

This level has easier and harder path (the easier one was tested by Hmpf as the LoCP founder and representative) but the easier path is actually quite hard and the hard path is fine only if you really liked that part of Gustav's daugter where Juni is jumping from stalagtite to stalagtite in lava cave. Each distinct area of this level contains little secret and there is only one ending.

Download from the archive.

Offline fabiche

• I love 2D games :-D
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Maze][Hard/Very hard][Medium] Gustav's abstraction
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 13:50:54 »
Hello Polana,

Congratulations on this great level. I finished it on easy last night. I found it refreshing, fun again and I love the color combinations (I love all colors). It was challenging without being out of reach. I found the rock band which made me laugh ;-)
I also loved the little fur balls, it made me think of Fury Of The Furries on the Amiga. I really liked the vertical world too
if it interests you, I found a little sound bug: it's in the 1st world, a level in the shape of a sink where you have to jump above a hairy beast which goes very fast and above a kind of spinning top that oscillates to the right and left. The sound of the save in this place is that of the sound when you take a power or a key
I'm going to try hard mode now. Well done ;-)

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 13:54:34 »
when I say "first world", I am referring to the one in the screenshot that you named "gustav1.PNG"

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 17:02:58 »
I'm glad you liked the level so much and thank you for telling me about the save point with wrong sound. I'll wait if someone notices more bugs and eventually release a fixed version.

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 19:31:07 »
Great ! thanks ;-)
I forgot to ask you : is the "rock band" the only secret or do I have to seek for other ones ?

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 15:21:20 »
There is one in each part of the level so there is 5 secrets but they don't contain anything special, just similarly lame jokes.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 12:26:45 »
Already said this elsewhere but: I like this! As a challenge, it's well designed (even if a few areas were pretty tough); and I enjoy the visuals, too, especially of the blue pixelated area and the two circle-segment based areas.

I'm very curious now about the haunted house version that might have been, though! That's a great looking swimming pool!

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 14:42:56 »
Finally finished this one last night. Great level! Visuals were cool, music was top-notch, and the challenges felt just right. Good job. :)

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 18:06:18 »
I'm glad you like the level.

@hmpf: That swimming pool (and rest of the garden tileset) is the sole reason I will return to that level one day.

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024, 08:34:55 »
Too bad I stole it to use in Shalev II so I'll be first >)
Rome wasn't built in a day.