[Challenge/Small/Hard+Very Hard] This Is Not Thirty Levels

• 10 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
[Challenge/Small/Hard+Very Hard] This Is Not Thirty Levels
« on: October 18, 2015, 11:30:37 »
It's a sequel to This Is Not A Level!

I like this one a little more, but that might just be because I haven't slept for 30 hours. This could also have led me to gravely misjudge the difficulty. I included two difficulty modes, Very Hard just provides slightly more frustrating and pixel-perfect demanding versions of two obstacles. Recommended for Fubaka, who I doubt will find it Very Hard at all.

The music is from She Screams by oddlogic. The challenges are all original this time (or subconsciously plagiarised). Playing with Knytt Stories Plus is strongly recommended but not compulsory.

Download!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:21:51 by sergiocornaga »

Offline David C

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Small/Hard+Very Hard] This Is Not Thirty Levels
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 01:56:12 »
i got stuck on the 7th level, maybe i'll go back and try to see what to do for that

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 02:55:37 »
Some comments as I go:

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 04:38:45 »
i got stuck on the 7th level, maybe i'll go back and try to see what to do for that

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 04:18:39 »
Trial two!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:21:08 by pfrangip »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 12:55:46 »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 03:32:23 »
You know me too well sergio.  :P

I did manage to complete it on Very Hard with little difficulty, but I will admit, it took quite a few tries to get that Key by jumping at it.

Excellent level!
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 03:35:00 »
I agree with Fubaka. This wasn't really that hard. :/ But! It was a great level. I felt a little cheated when all I was found was "HELLO." :P2

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 17:21:44 »
That was fun :D It was a nice set of well thought out challenges, especially for a level that was made in such a limited time frame!

I'm curious: what are the two differences between the Hard and Very Hard difficulty modes that you mentioned? I played them both, but the only thing I noticed was...

Some KS levels by me:

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 00:42:39 »
The platform in the room where you get climb is smaller on very hard, but that and the key jump were the only differences I noticed. Strangely the room with the chasing enemies in the wall was harder than both of those "very hard" additions by a massive amount to me, but I've never been good at evading moving enemies, let alone ones that chase.

It's a fun little level, I liked the other not a level more, only, probably, because of that challenge that gave me a lot of trouble for some reason. The end was confusing to me, like Fubaka mentioned. I tried escaping the box for a long time. I really, really liked the part where you jump on top of the blocks and the chompy-mouthed guys fall down as you go across, it wasn't difficult at all but there was something really fun about that visually and even from a gameplay perspective even though it remains the same as if you took the chompy guys away. It reminds me of running up and down angular paths paths in KS. For some reason doing that just feels good and fun, but it's just going up and down. I didn't really have much to say about this level except for that part really stuck out to me. Something that's fun because of how it feels to do it and the style at which it's done.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 12:52:55 »
The platform in the room where you get climb is smaller on very hard, but that and the key jump were the only differences I noticed. Strangely the room with the chasing enemies in the wall was harder than both of those "very hard" additions by a massive amount to me, but I've never been good at evading moving enemies, let alone ones that chase.

Yup, that's all the differences. I actually tried making an easier version of that room, but my attempts lacked the things I liked about the challenge in the first place. Here are a few approaches to getting through that I just recorded (several failures omitted):

I think the best way to pass is to lure them into that floating block so they slow down, then backtrack, but maybe you figured that out already. Me hitting my head on the ceiling all those times is just my own ineptitude, so I figure it's not 100% unforgiving (though for all I know those failed jumps were the key to my success). That's why I thought this wasn't one of the hardest parts of the level at the time, but maybe it is. The Very Hard key jump is the challenge I have the hardest time with. Sometimes it seems so random that I wonder if the one pixel that determines whether you succeed or fail is just some rounding error in the engine.

I'm glad you liked the falling chompy guys. Looking back, that might have been inspired by this moment in Kyodo's level Don't Stop Running.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 13:01:19 by sergiocornaga »