• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
KS Custom Content Archive [UPDATED 2022]
« on: September 02, 2015, 16:37:36 »
2022 update:

New site is in construction:

http://knytt.comhon.cz/

2020 version:

A directory structure based on author and work names.

Browse http://knytt.comhon.cz/archive_2020
Download http://knytt.comhon.cz/files/KS_Custom-Content_2020.zip

2021-03 alpha:

Following link will let you download a new version of archive including a Windows program in which you can search within tileset database.
Download (~50MB size)
Alpha quallity. Custom objects are not yet included.

Spoiler: Details (click to show/hide)

Features:
  • Sort alphabetically by author name
  • Sort alphabetically by tilestet name
  • Fulltext search in author and tileset name
  • Tileset color variants matching (limited to exactly same alpha transparency mask)
  • Tileset screen previews (for a limited set of tilesets, the ones I was able to find)
Spoiler: Known Issues (click to show/hide)

Thanks Polana for beta testing the initial version months back

Original post:

In the forums there is a lot of custom content, that is just lost. When I browsed the KS custom level content, I found out, there are many topics, in which the image links are dead, because the original files were deleted from the image sharing archives... I know it is possible to ask the author to re-upload it, but not in all cases.

This must be stopped, or we at least have to prevent the loss of the content. I decided to create an archive with all the graphics, that are still present. I know there was something like Gaeels' site (but that time I was not here on forums) and currently that site is down...

My plan is to enable a fulltext search within the tilesets using keywords (tags) in a most easiest way. (There are many topics looking for a tileset with specific theme). I know there are many ways how to do it, but I think the simpliest way will be best, to iclude keywords in the filename. This should be easily transferable. The archive is not so big (currently about 30MB), so it is possible to download it whole and search within it just using file explorer.

2015 version:

Download the archive: Knytt_Stories-CustomContent.zip

Missing content? Have something that is not present? You can use Dropbox uploaded feature, however that will require entering your email, so only if you are fine with that. Other way is to upload the files elsewhere and send me a PM with a download link. I will then include it in the archive.
Dropbox upload link
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 19:16:49 by Comhon »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: All KS Custom Content Archive
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 14:47:27 »
I've uploaded a Zip of all of my finished tilesets to you.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 15:56:56 »
I tried using the upload feature, but I didn't want to give it an e-mail address. Anyway, Endless Winter has several tilesets and COs you're missing. Check out The Dying Core, and also this link: Mertynn
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 16:02:39 by egomassive »

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 19:42:08 »
I tried using the upload feature, but I didn't want to give it an e-mail address.
I am sorry about that, I did not know it needs email. I'll find another way to receive uploads.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 20:09:49 »
I like the idea. I checked and it seems you have pretty much everything I've released (nice job!). That said there might be a few gradients here or there, but after looking at my stuff again it makes me consider putting out stuff that's better quality. If I ever do, I'll post them and upload it to you.

Thanks for your effort. :)

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 20:50:38 »
Thanks. It's a shame I did not came with this idea before, some of tilesets can be lost.
At least it is possible to export them from created levels from level archive, but we won't know if they can be used in other levels.

Do you think it is a good idea to continue spend a lot of time tagging the graphics? Or it is enough to use just name of tileset?
Shall I continue with it this way, or change the structure?
<type>_[<name>]_<author>_(<tags>)
I just don't know how to deal with tilesets and gradients (and preview screens) that belong to each other.

EDIT: This idea was ditched for now
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 19:52:28 by Comhon »

Offline Oft99

• Known elsewhere as "EgoNaut"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 14:15:17 »
Is this archive still being updated? I have my own (fairly large) hoard of KS community assets which I've hung on to over the years. After searching through this archive here, I've identified items I could contribute which the archive doesn't currently have.

I noticed this thread has a link to a page on Dropbox where it appears I can submit the files myself. Would I necessarily have to upload my files to Dropbox first before I could share them? Or would it be possible for me to just upload them directly from my computer?

Thank you so, so much for making this brilliant archive by the way! You've done important work in preserving assets of the KS community that might otherwise be lost.
My tilesets (fresh uploads as of September 2020):
https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=1407.0

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 22:06:43 »
I recently added some missing files to the archive, mainly COs, however I'm not sure if I synced it to Dropbox. I'll check that tommorow.
About the uploading, I'll look into it how to make it more intuitive. I am not sure if the upload feature still works, it has been a while since I checked the forums.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
Re: All KS Custom Content Archive [UPDATED December 2020]
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 22:34:38 »
So, I just found out, that I have this archive on two Dropbox accounts and when I added some files this summer, it was not the one the forum link follows. So I added a new link. And while I was looking into it, I spent some time to add some additional resources to the archive. So feel free to preview it.

2020 version (up-to date, in progress):
Browse on Dropbox

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

To-Do list:

Custom objects
custom characters
more preview screens for tilesets that are available
might take some screenshots from levels the tilesets were used it

Offline Oft99

• View Profile
Re: KS Custom Content Archive [UPDATED December 2020]
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 19:36:27 »
This archive represents important preservation of KS community history, so thank you for keeping it updated. (Thank you especially for including my own assets as well!)

After downloading the latest version of this archive just now, I decided to have a quick browse through my own personal collection of KS community assets to see if I could find anything that your archive is currently missing. This quick search resulted in me uploading about 45 files to the Dropbox upload link that you provided. Whilst I'm sure I made some mistakes in my haste (skipping needed files, uploading un-needed files, uploading assets that might be "banned" from use) I otherwise hope I was able to provide a mostly-helpful contribution to this project.

Let me know via private message whether there's anything else you can think that I possibly could do to help.  :)

---

EDIT: I found a couple of extra gradients that I had missed and uploaded those to the Dropbox link. I might have also uploaded the custom music I made for one of my old custom levels, but I've already forgotten.

There's something else I found where I felt I should ask first before I uploaded it: somewhere in my PC I've found a folder full of assets from Nifflas' game "Knytt" which have been converted into Knytt Stories assets by a user named Looki. This package includes conversions of all of Knytt's music, ambiences, gradients and tilesets as well as Custom Object representations of some of its animated elements. Is this the sort of content you would want to have in the archive? Or would it not be appropriate?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 20:01:25 by Oft99 »

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
Re: KS Custom Content Archive [UPDATED December 2020]
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 21:11:31 »
Thank you! I added the content you uploaded to the archive.

Whilst I'm sure I made some mistakes in my haste (skipping needed files, uploading un-needed files, uploading assets that might be "banned" from use) I otherwise hope I was able to provide a mostly-helpful contribution to this project.

You can be sure your contribution is helpful. I am currently working on getting some additional content I might orignally missed, so in a few weeks there could be a bigger update. Moreover, I am thinking about adding some another level of structure above the files to provide better browsing experience of the archived content.

About the "banned" section. Originally this project was about preserving the content on the forums. Later I though it could be a source for new level designers, so most content I added was of type that could be used in own levels. Having a multiple conversions and remixes of Nifflas' content I recently decided to add also the default tilesets to have something to compare to. And recently, after the years I decided to come back to the original idea of having the collection of most of the KS custom content that was created.
So the "banned" section is just temporary, before I find out the best approach how to organize it better in the structure.

There's something else I found where I felt I should ask first before I uploaded it: somewhere in my PC I've found a folder full of assets from Nifflas' game "Knytt" which have been converted into Knytt Stories assets by a user named Looki. This package includes conversions of all of Knytt's music, ambiences, gradients and tilesets as well as Custom Object representations of some of its animated elements. Is this the sort of content you would want to have in the archive? Or would it not be appropriate?

Feel free to upload it. This will help me a lot, since currently in the archive there are just a few custom object in comparison to the tilesets. I might create a specific section in the archive with this type of content (conversions from other games) but a partition of content from Knytt was already present in the default tilesets, these files will be a great addition to the archive.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 21:54:23 by Comhon »

Offline Oft99

• View Profile
Re: KS Custom Content Archive [UPDATED January 2021]
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 01:38:45 »
Alright then! :)  I made one last set of uploads: The Knytt conversion package by Looki, and then a handful of additional tilesets by Elder which I was previously worried might be banned from use.

Good luck with your efforts working on this. You're doing a great job!

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 00:34:09 »
Hi everyone,
so I looked into this very praiseworthy archive  :) and I realized I have some old tilesets which are not included here. What should I do to get them there? (I don't see any upload buttom.)

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 20:42:20 »
Hi everyone,
so I looked into this very praiseworthy archive  :) and I realized I have some old tilesets which are not included here. What should I do to get them there? (I don't see any upload buttom.)
That would be great! Since I did not found another solution for uploading files yet, I just activated the older Dropbox file request link. I re-added it to the end of first post.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
Re: KS Custom Content Archive [UPDATED Febuary 2021]
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 17:36:08 »
The tilesets I got from Polana are now included in the archive. Some of them haven't been there for a while.