A Climbing Alike [Challenge/Misc][Medium][Hard][KS+]

• 16 Replies

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
A Climbing Alike [Challenge/Misc][Medium][Hard][KS+]
« on: September 02, 2015, 07:49:52 »

In honor of whatever amount of stars you have right now, I'd like to present you with this level. This is my love letter to this forum and the Knytt Stories level makers out there that are still making a go out of it. It contains many cameos from people here and if you're not included in it, don't feel bad, if I had all the time I'd include everyone that's active. Also, I'm very lazy. For some more information on how the level came about check the preview thread.

*READ THIS*
This is a KS+ only level. It uses the map functionality, it has a custom character to play as instead of Juni and there are many other features that make the level unique because of KS+. You will probably need the most recent version of KS+ as well, so if you haven't updated in a while you should do so.
Link to KS+

Level links:
Dropbox
Knytt Levels

Here's some screenshots:

The goal of the level is to get as many powerups and collectibles as possible to progress to the ending. There's a lot of secrets to find but they should be visually apparent to find them. There's nothing like random walking through walls that have no visual difference to them. So you can probably find them all without looking in the editor.

I'd like to thank Fubaka and Vegetal Gibber for beta testing the level, finding many mistakes and giving some advice.
I'd like to thank Sergio for testing, advice, and also contributing to the level in many ways. As well as pushing me to finish the level at all.
More information on that can be found in my post within the Official Beta Test Recruitment Thread.
*EDIT*
Sergio found some more bugs, a couple unsolid blocks in places. It's such a small update I'm reluctant to update the Knytt Levels versions, so the Dropbox version is, as of now, very, very slightly less bugged and I'd recommend any new downloader to use that but, but if you already have the earlier version the changes really are one unsolid block that is noticeable and four that are not.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:39:27 by plural »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: A Climbing Alike [Challenge/Misc][Medium][Hard][KS+]
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 15:06:21 »
Having beta-tested this, I can say to any potential players that this one is quite the treat!

Also, be sure to keep in mind that not everything is as it seems. Only the bold will find all the secrets here.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 16:41:36 »
This was a lot of fun. I played for quite a while, and I think I found everything there was to find. The challenges were all well made. They challenged me without ever feeling unfair or frustrating. *gives star*

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 20:25:39 »
WOW. This was GREAT! I really liked the writing that the robots had, even though I couldn't really comprehend half of it. :P Not sure if I had to collect an arbitrary number of coins to get a better ending, or if they were just for show, or if it was just a metaphor for how worthless money actually is. :P Loved the cameos and the final climb, though. That was my favorite part.

All in all, great level, this is going on my list of favorite levels as well. :D

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 22:16:41 »
This was quite a level. Having played some of plural's previous levels, I was on the lookout for secrets and made (I thought) a thorough search. After finishing, I checked in the level editor and realized I missed most of the secrets. :) I'll have to go back and replay this one.

Like Plural's previous levels, this one has a compelling (if creepy) atmosphere. This is the most impressive level I've played in long time. Thanks for making it!

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 03:50:42 »
This was, erm, to put it lightly, quite excellent.  :whoa:

I do believe this is the most ambitious (and best) use of KS+ I've seen to date.

Spoiler: more (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 14:30:02 by pfrangip »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:06:36 »
Spoiler: pfrangip: (click to show/hide)

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 00:27:56 »
Hmm, reading this thread, I clearly missed a lot here. Don't have enough time to delve in again now, sadly...

Still, it was lovely. I loved the cameos! :D Atmosphere was very serene, and I loved the melancholic atmosphere. Challenges were fun, though I got a little frustrated by the gaps between saves at times - a problem in such a free-form level methinks, and some of the near-arbitrary deaths when I crossed a screen only to drift serenely into a laser or a mine got me grinding my teeth at times.

Still, it was a fun half an hour, and I still have a lot to discover if I can summon the patience for all that secret-hunting.

EDIT:

Ok, I played a bit more, met pfrangrip, loved Tablecat...
Just gotta beat the arcade games... but I really need to go to bed now. Stupid job, stupid responsibilities...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 00:46:52 by Talps »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 03:37:15 »
 Very effectively showed off the potential of the swim object for crafting an open-feeling environment, and the writing was all soothingly amusing.

I loved how relaxing the environment was, and my only real wish was that certain areas would be easier to get back around to.  And perhaps a bit more length on the loop for the main area.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 13:36:55 »
And perhaps a bit more length on the loop for the main area.

I'm assuming you're referring to the music. If so, I once agreed, but I'm so used to it now that if it changed I would freak out a bit.

Anyway, I gave most of my feedback while I was testing this, but I'll just chime in that I love this level a lot.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 06:33:49 »
Oh, also... is it just on my end where I'm getting this very strange boost whenever I jump up to a screen above a screen with swim-able water in it?  Take jumping from x1001y1000 to x1001y999, for instance - if I initiate a double jump just before the screen transition, I'll launch off with WAY more force than usual.

(I tried replicating this in my own level by putting one or two random water tiles on a screen and leaping to the above screen, but nothing seemed to happen.  Is there just some property of KS+ that I'm not aware of?)
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 07:24:29 »
Oh, also... is it just on my end where I'm getting this very strange boost whenever I jump up to a screen above a screen with swim-able water in it?  Take jumping from x1001y1000 to x1001y999, for instance - if I initiate a double jump just before the screen transition, I'll launch off with WAY more force than usual.
Same here. From what i can tell, it happens when the player is directly above two or more water tiles that are either on the bottom two rows, or on two different layers on the bottom row.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:35:39 by StraightFlame »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 12:56:13 »
I found that minor issue while betatesting too. Plural explained that it's a known bug in KS+ that occurs when you have swim blocks on the bottom of the screen. You can learn more about it here. The boost is actually kind of neat, though, even if it was unintended.

Like Sergio, I already gave my feedback during the betatesting phase, but I want to take this opportunity to say I really enjoyed the level :)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 07:49:27 »
That bug has been fixed in the latest update of KS+ which you can get by following the KS+ link in the original post. Or just follow Vegetal's link to the end of that thread to find out more specific changes, along with that fix. Though, it doesn't have that much of an affect on the level. Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.