[Challenge/Environmental][Easy/Medium] Juni's Life

• 5 Replies

Offline David C

• View Profile
[Challenge/Environmental][Easy/Medium] Juni's Life
« on: August 30, 2015, 21:22:24 »
Another little level, i had less of a clear feeling about this one, but i still liked it.
Original version: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/david%20-%20Juni%27s%20Life.knytt.bin
version 2: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/david%20-%20Juni%27s%20Life%20v2.knytt.bin

Music taken from brainwaltzera's soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/brainwaltzera/8-vertical-spacebar-ruff-aft_live_fastmix
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:47:53 by David C »

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Environmental][Easy/Medium] Juni's Life
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 00:24:25 »
Another interesting little dadaist adventure from david.    >)

I must say, this is a marked improvement over your last one. Its got some structure, some challenges, the various comments were interesting and/or funny, and I liked the music. I enjoyed this.  C)

Spoiler: technical difficulties (click to show/hide)

Offline David C

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:42:31 »
ah, i didn't mean for the player to start out with the high jump. i think i fixed all the stuff and added in a bit more. I might've missed something, but i don't think i'll make more changes. Here is the redone version : http://knyttlevels.com/levels/david%20-%20Juni%27s%20Life%20v2.knytt.bin Also, i forgot to put the source to the music, it definitely isn't mine, and i don't want to get in the habit of not crediting people whose things i've used. i'll put it at the top.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:46:42 by David C »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 06:04:35 »
ah, i didn't mean for the player to start out with the high jump. i think i fixed all the stuff and added in a bit more. I might've missed something, but i don't think i'll make more changes. Here is the redone version : http://knyttlevels.com/levels/david%20-%20Juni%27s%20Life%20v2.knytt.bin Also, i forgot to put the source to the music, it definitely isn't mine, and i don't want to get in the habit of not crediting people whose things i've used. i'll put it at the top.

I downloaded and played the fixed version you posted here. Unfortunately, there are a good many more technical flubs I found. To help you out on future level design, I'll post them here for you.

Spoiler: List of flubs (click to show/hide)

That is my report. I hope you will find it useful.

Otherwise, I think your level is interesting. I liked the dialogue, and I think you could have a bright future in this if you keep at it.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 15:03:33 »
That was short but entertaining. I liked the dialogue and the "cheesy" (literally) look of the scenario :P

In addition to everything that pfrangip and Fubaka said, I'd like to offer a few tips about descriptive tags for your future levels:

• Leaving the tags blank in the World.ini file makes it cumbersome to find your level in the list of when you have a big amount of levels installed, because you can't use filters to narrow the search.
  • The categories you put in the thread title don't describe this level well enough in my opinion. An Environmental level has, by definition, a heavy focus on ambience and visuals. While it doesn't look bad, I think your level doesn't feature the usual detailed backgrounds and structure a typical Environmental level does. Just "Challenge" would be much more accurate.
  • Also, I think the specified size should be Small instead of Medium, as the game can be completed in just a few minutes.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline David C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 16:02:13 »
yeah, i meant small to medium difficulty, i got confused with these tags. i'd definitely make sure not to have possible traps in future levels, because that happened to me with a part of azure serenity where i think i was supposed to have an umbrella, but i could get there anyway. Tags would be nice to include as well. I wasn't aware of the sign area feature, thanks for the tip, and thanks for all the tips in general