A Climbing Alike [Playground/Challenge/Misc]

• 6 Replies

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
A Climbing Alike [Playground/Challenge/Misc]
« on: August 22, 2015, 19:37:48 »
In honor of whatever amount of stars everyone has right now...

So, this event prompted me to think about making a small level.

Well, needless to say, I really couldn't get a lot done in two hours. But I was surprised at how much I did get done and I didn't want to put it to waste. So, I've been working on completing this level before getting back to The Empty Planet.

I would just finish the level and release it, as the majority of it is done, but there are certain things I would like to include in the level that I could use your guys' help with, if you feel like.

So far, within the level, I have the characters of:
egomassive
Firecat
Headgrinder
Polana
Sergio
StraightFlame
Tablecat
Talps
Ultigonio

These are mostly because I used the representative images from For Egomassive, which made it much easier to make since the art was done, but also I felt much more comfortable because I really don't want to misrepresent someone. I made a sprite for Ultigonio based, loosely, off his avatar, but I'm not entirely comfortable with doing that for everyone.

If you know of any graphical/sprite image that represents people that aren't really active, (see, I want to make one for Grayface but not a lot to go off, so I was just going to make someone with a grey face, how did I get to be so smart, you ask?), that'd be cool to post. If not, it's fine, I don't think people will mind too much if I interpret, I'd just feel bad if someone had something like their personal and specific icon and I just don't know and make something else out of ignorance.

Also, anyone who wants to be included I will include, there's not enough active users for this to conceivably slow me down. If you have an image you'd like to represent you, I'll work on getting that in. If you just want to be included but want me to make up my own interpretation, I'll do that as well.

I know I'm going on about this like it's going to be a huge part of the level, it's really mostly cameo type things, with a sprite sitting around with a few lines to say. Oh, and you could also tell me what you want to say, if you want to say anything specific.

Anyway, the level has a loose story but it's mostly a playground where you get progressively more powers and keys until you find the end.

Some screens:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 19:57:55 by plural »

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: A Climbing Alike [Playground/Challenge/Misc]
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 22:11:04 »
Sounds awesome; it'd be great to see another level by you.

Since I don't know what's going on in your level, however, and I don't know what I'm doing therein, it'd be hard to put words in my own mouth. But I really look forward to seeing what you produce!

And I love that last screenshot up there :D

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 11:11:23 »
Based on this image Healy made of herself, I re-purposed a sprite of Miss Paula, Girl From Mars, for an appearance in Endless Winter. I know it says Paula, but it's secretly supposed to be Healy.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:05:27 by egomassive »

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 14:03:32 »
Wow this sounds fun!

Plural, I just noticed I only have two levels by you. Both were excellent (Hypnagogia, Orientation) I also see "Trapped" and "Day 901" on the Knytt archives. Do you have any other levels you've made you recommend playing?

Also, anyone who wants to be included I will include, there's not enough active users for this to conceivably slow me down. If you have an image you'd like to represent you, I'll work on getting that in. If you just want to be included but want me to make up my own interpretation, I'll do that as well.

I know I'm going on about this like it's going to be a huge part of the level, it's really mostly cameo type things, with a sprite sitting around with a few lines to say. Oh, and you could also tell me what you want to say, if you want to say anything specific.

Well... since you're offering... yes, please! You should know I'm a guy who likes fine cheeses (hence the Roquefort avatar) and my most popular level so far involves a psychotic Juni going around killing off meanies. Use (or don't use) that information to create your own interpretation. >)

Thank you so much, I am looking forward to playing the final product.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 21:05:05 »

Ahahaha, don't use those!  I'd much rather that my goofy level from my middle school days not come back to haunt me in a more recent level.  I know I had a little Knytt-esque version of the guy in my avatar, somewhere, but I can't seem to find it in that level's files.  I'd much rather you stick with whatever you came up with, Plural.

At any rate, this is really neat.  I'm happy to be included in this, even though my activity with the community tends to be somewhat tepid, at times.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 22:34:42 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 22:04:24 »
Looks like this is going to be a fun level to play, with a nice variety of scenarios. The dialogue in that last preview shot made me chuckle X)

From what I can see in the screenshots, I assume this is going to be a KS+ level. Is that correct or will I need a different version to play it? (I'm still not very familiar with the different mods available)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:23:21 »
Plural, I just noticed I only have two levels by you. Both were excellent (Hypnagogia, Orientation) I also see "Trapped" and "Day 901" on the Knytt archives. Do you have any other levels you've made you recommend playing?

I don't have any other levels. Day 901 and Trapped, I wouldn't really even consider real levels either. I'm not very prolific in that sense. The only other thing I've done, really, is work on part of the For Egomassive level.

From what I can see in the screenshots, I assume this is going to be a KS+ level. Is that correct or will I need a different version to play it? (I'm still not very familiar with the different mods available)
Yeah, it's a KS+ level, you'll most likely need the most recent version to play it.