[Challenge/Misc./Small] [Normal] Juni Gets a Food

• 14 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
[Challenge/Misc./Small] [Normal] Juni Gets a Food
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:26:47 »
This level was made as part of the Knytt in a Month #9 challenge on Glorious Trainwrecks, where participants were asked to try and make a Knytt Stories level in 2 hours. (I did mine in a little over 3)

In this grand adventure, Juni must obtain a food from her fridge, but such a task may prove more difficult than she thinks!

Download link: http://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/node/9547
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:37:49 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: [Challenge/Misc./Small] [Normal] Juni Gets a Food
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:27:43 »
Wow, Broken Bulwarks looks great in action! Your sewer variations tileset is excellent too. Presumably you made it during the event, which is pretty impressive. Curiously, turning on a radio (is that a spoiler?) was an idea I noted down to do myself for Knytt of the Month but then decided not to.

There are voids accessible at x1008y1008 and x1008y1011. I hope you'll put something neat there!

As a side note, I'm responsible for the clouds that gave you so much trouble. There aren't any missing tiles... it was an attempt to make a cloud set within the 8 tile limit (I believe it was the last turn, so no room for expansion either) and I feel I was about as successful as I could have been working within those limitations.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 14:09:45 »
Interesting to see one of the community tilesets in action :D The level looks really pretty, especially the final exterior part, and it has a nice set of features for such little time in the making. The dialogue was pretty funny too :P2

If I had to criticize something, it would be the positioning of some of the enemies, which lead to some frustrating moments (had to retry that last pixel-perfect jump quite a few times) and the volume of the music in the final part, which was a bit too loud for me. But hey, it's hard to complain about things like this when you have already accomplished so much in such limited time!

Kudos to you, sir.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 18:29:51 »
I have posted an updated version of the level! It is recommended to get it if you have the older version, as it fixes some big things!

@sergio, thanks for pointing out those Voids! I tried my best to scour the level for such things, but I often have tunnel vision in certain areas. It's a problem when you're the only beta tester.  :P  I took your advice and added something else there, rather than just close it off.

Also, I didn't really have that much trouble with the clouds, I was just pointing out that they can't really be used as openly as other cloud sets due to the restricted tile count. I.e. you can't really make large clouds with tops, but that didn't end up being an issue, really.

As for the sewer variation, I actually had most of that in place before the event started. (In fact, parts of it precede the Broken Bulwarks set). In preparation for the event, I added some of the Broken Bulwarks features to it to make it complete enough for use. As such, that tileset as well is free for anyone to use/edit.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 18:35:23 by Fubaka »

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 18:34:03 »
I have posted an updated version of the level! It is recommended to get it if you have the older version, as it fixes some big things!

@sergio, thanks for pointing out those Voids! I tried my best to scour the level for such things, but I often have tunnel vision in certain areas. It's a problem when you're the only beta tester.  :P

Heh, I noticed the file had updated and played through the level again before you even made this post. Should I know what that guy is talking about?

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 18:36:17 »
Heh, I noticed the file had updated and played through the level again before you even made this post. Should I know what that guy is talking about?

Just a teaser, old boy. That's all.

Love anything

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 18:48:22 »
Nice short level! :) But beware of fat Juni! :D

I enjoyed it, really. The custom tilesets are very cleverly made. I noticed the voids too, but sergiocornaga overtook me. :D
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 18:49:32 »
Nice short level! :) But beware of fat Juni! :D

I enjoyed it, really. The custom tilesets are very cleverly made. I noticed the voids too, but sergiocornaga overtook me. :D

Have you downloaded the updated version yet? No more voids there!

Also, glad you enjoyed it!

Love anything

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 18:54:17 »
Have you downloaded the updated version yet? No more voids there!

Yes, I meant I played the old version and now I'm currently playing the updated version :).
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 00:20:47 »
The community tilesets look really great. That last challenge screen (before the update) had me bothered, I won't lie. In two hours though, this is quite a feat. This would've taken me like two years.

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 00:34:49 »
The community tilesets look really great. That last challenge screen (before the update) had me bothered, I won't lie. In two hours though, this is quite a feat. This would've taken me like two years.

Heh, thanks. Had I not been in a hurry, I probably would have fixed that last challenge before first release, tbh. That jump is hard enough without the water bugs.

Love anything

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 03:43:08 »
Good gravy man! Way to show everyone up on that 2-hour challenge!! Why have you only released two levels?  :whoa: I want to see those other ten that supposedly weren't ready for primetime!
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Anyways, MORE, PLEASE!

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 03:57:47 »
There is an odd wallswim between x1011y1012 and x1012y1012 when going back in the other direction, probably because the grass is in layer 3.

Oh geez. How did I not notice that? Fixing!

Rest assured, more is coming. Unfortunately, those 10 previous levels I mentioned are all long gone. Deleted before I started Cosmic Meltdown in fact. T'was a bad habit of mine.

You said you liked the music, I'd love if you gave the whole album a listen: https://fubaka.bandcamp.com/album/deparct

Love anything

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 20:43:08 »
Now I'm actually surprised what one can do in less than 4 hours! That was a fun challenge, and the ending was funny too.

(Maybe if the food could stay right where it was, the level would have been finished in 4 minutes.)

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 03:29:11 »
I liked this level a lot. Especially the part when the fridge runs away from Juni.