[Game] Sunset Melody

• 11 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
[Game] Sunset Melody
« on: August 13, 2015, 16:41:56 »

Another (very) short game I made a year ago for a game jam event (this one was called "Peace, Love and Jam", and its premise was to build a game with a peaceful, relaxing vibe).

It's a simple, minimalistic exploration platformer. Find and collect all the mysterious objects scattered across the level to unlock a song.

[ Linky! ]

It can be played directly on your browser (HTML5 & WebGL required), but there's a downloadable fullscreen version for Windows too.

NOTE: There are two different versions of the game. The one that says "Original version" is what I originally submitted for the event, but it lacks some bugfixes and features and might crash under recent Windows versions. Make sure you don't pick that one :P2
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Re: [Game] Sunset Melody
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 00:23:23 »
Hey, this was pretty nice! It had a very Knytt-like feel. Thanks for posting it here!

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:06:16 »
Thank you for playing! I'm glad you liked it :) Indeed, the Knytt series (especially Knytt Nano) had a lot of influence over the design of this little game.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 02:27:18 »
I'm curious. Does the song at the end depend on the order the notes were collected?

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 03:11:46 »
No, the song is always the same. Each glowing object you pick up just unlocks the next note in a hardcoded string, so they can be collected in any order you want. However, that idea is something I want to consider if I decide to develop this little game into something more elaborate (which would require adding more levels with different mechanics).

Thanks for trying the game!
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 01:59:43 »
It seemed to me that the music accompanying the notes didn't depend on them at all. I bet it would sound OK if the notes were mixed up. If you made the level longer, I think this would stop being the case though.

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
    • vdweller's freeware games
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 16:59:17 »
This sis actually pretty good! My only gripe is that movement/jumping seemed a bit slow, but I played it in my browser so it might be because of that. Well done!

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 01:09:38 »
@egomassive: I think that might be because of the repetitive nature of the first part of the song. If I ever get a chance to expand this, I'll probably go with songs with more variation to avoid this.

@vdweller: Thanks, I'm happy you liked it! The web version was generated using an old version of GameMaker's HTML5 export module, so it's probably not very efficient (especially on non-Chrome based browsers). The downloadable version should run more fluidly.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 01:37:06 »
I liked it. As already stated in this topic, there's nice ways to expand or elaborate on this in the future and I honestly hope you continue making these sorts of things. I reminded me vaguely of Knytt Nano, which is always a good thing. I liked how collecting the notes gave you a nice visual effect; that was pretty much perfect from my eyes and really made collecting them neat, rather than just "oh, you got it". I felt like the jumping and some of the animation was rough, but I think given more attention (or just more time, in this case; since you made it for a jam), these things would iron themselves out eventually. Nice job, do continue. :)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 00:09:20 »
Thanks! I hope I get a chance to work on this in the near future, I've been interested in doing so for quite a long time.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline David C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 03:23:46 »
a charming game, though felt slightly lacking in the possibility space, but still great stuff

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 04:10:04 »
Really enjoyed this :)