[Challenge/Small/Normal] This Is Not A Level

• 9 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
[Challenge/Small/Normal] This Is Not A Level
« on: August 10, 2015, 18:49:48 »
Figured I should put up my own Knytt of the Month level here. Was tempted to just plop it in my somewhat neglected compilation thread, but thirteen is such a good number that I can't bear to increase it yet.

Features music from Dah Gunk by Ryan Cross, a title suggested by SC and Fubaka, and challenges based on ones designed by RelicShine and pfrangip (seen in The Tower of Joy).

Download!

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: [Challenge/Small/Normal] This Is Not A Level
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 19:00:13 »
This level was pretty rad, man!

The music is great, and so were the environments.

I also appreciate that you cover all your bases, even if you're pretty sure it's impossible to get somewhere.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 19:11:38 »
This level was pretty rad, man!

The music is great, and so were the environments.

I also appreciate that you cover all your bases, even if you're pretty sure it's impossible to get somewhere.

Thanks! The screen directly below the message is definitely possible to beat, but you probably knew that. I figure most people still playing Knytt Stories aren't afraid to use the cheat or dig around in the editor, so I sometimes fill areas that look potentially reachable even if they actually aren't.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 00:31:31 »
Whether or not you designed it yourself, I feel I should point out that the part where you start getting powers and you have the small obstacles was really great. It was the kind of pacing and skill escalation that really makes a game feel fun. Like burning through some Super Meat Boy smaller stages, it's really hard to balance frustration and difficulty with pacing in my experience.

Aside from that, Good stylishly trippy fun, as per usual.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 00:39:23 »
Very cool music and minimalistic design! The variety of challenges at the end was pretty interesting. I also liked how you used the shift objects in conjunction with the tileset.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 02:53:26 »
This was a cool level! I really liked the song you picked out for it.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 03:04:29 »
  • Not only is this a level, this is a SOLID little level! (You should change the name to that. "This is a Solid Level."  C)p )
  • Fun little bit of challenges, loved the minimalist design, the pacing was perfect.
  • EXCELLENT music choice! I've never heard it before, but it really tied the whole level together. I can't imagine this level would be the same without it.
  • Enjoyed it enough on the first go-around, and thought there were enough extra possibilities to explore that I actually played it again... twice.  :^^:
  • Seeing my name in the credits (first time ever) made me feel a little good inside, and want to design more levels. Even after recognizing just a tiny contribution, I think I will start including credits for inspiration and other things as well, to spread it forward, encourage more collaboration, and encourage more KS building feelings.  :)
  • Only complaint: I want more! Oh well! This is great for 2(.5) hours!

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 03:31:26 »
EXCELLENT music choice! I've never heard it before, but it really tied the whole level together. I can't imagine this level would be the same without it.

It should be stressed that the music used in this is available for free download at this link. I of course have already done so.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:33:18 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 17:27:42 »
Thanks, everyone!

Not only is this a level, this is a SOLID little level! (You should change the name to that. "This is a Solid Level."  C)p )
The full title actually incorporates the description: "This Is Not A Level In Which The World Explodes". So it's technically true!

Regarding the music, I pulled up FMA right after starting the level and Ryan Cross was the second artist I listened to. You too can find perfect music with ease!

Oh yeah, and actually it took like 3-4 hours, so don't be too impressed.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 18:32:34 »
Good level. Liked the music too, didn't like that it stopped at a certain moment. I beated the level, then reloaded my last save to get a different ending and when I reloaded the music started again which felt like a relief.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex