Thinking about doing a review-esque Knytt Stories video series

• 3 Replies

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
I'm thinking about making a video series where I pick a Knytt Stories level (or levels) and talk about them and how they play, their aesthetics, how much fun I had with them, and possibly relating them to my personal life. It wouldn't be a very technical review, I would just go over the level and talk about it for a bit, with maybe a few sentences at the end saying whether you should play it or not. It would be a YouTube video series that would be fully-edited, and I feel each video would be about 4-6 minutes long each. I might even make special episodes about the KS community in general. Question is, I haven't fleshed out much of it yet and I'm not sure if anyone here would be willing to watch/support it. What do you guys think?

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: Thinking about doing a review-esque Knytt Stories video series
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 16:38:17 »
This is just my personal opinion and it might not reflect well the interests of other people (particularly the ones outside this community), but I'd definitely watch your videos if you decide to go for it.

The good thing about KS is that there's a lot of user-generated content to cover, so you can choose your material in a way that makes your series different from other KS video series. Also, most of the videos I've seen about the game are normal LPs, so I think a review/commentary series would be something new (at least for me).
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 19:36:16 »
I'm thinking about making a video series where I pick a Knytt Stories level (or levels) and talk about them and how they play, their aesthetics, how much fun I had with them, and possibly relating them to my personal life. It wouldn't be a very technical review, I would just go over the level and talk about it for a bit, with maybe a few sentences at the end saying whether you should play it or not. It would be a YouTube video series that would be fully-edited, and I feel each video would be about 4-6 minutes long each. I might even make special episodes about the KS community in general. Question is, I haven't fleshed out much of it yet and I'm not sure if anyone here would be willing to watch/support it. What do you guys think?

If you could do a video series, it would definitely trump my current text-based review series.

Ultimately, the success or failure of such an endeavor will depend on how many new levels come out for KS. Perhaps you could help by making some levels yourself?

Also, you have to ask yourself what you intend to accomplish with the series. Will it be a simpler let's play style where you just sum up the level, or will you go over specific points, or something else entirely?
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 22:11:08 »
Ultimately, the success or failure of such an endeavor will depend on how many new levels come out for KS. Perhaps you could help by making some levels yourself?

Don't worry, I already have a few levels picked out to review already. And once I run out of already-planned material, I still have a good amount of levels on my hard drive. (And I might be working on a new level soon, if it pans out. Hm.)

Also, you have to ask yourself what you intend to accomplish with the series. Will it be a simpler let's play style where you just sum up the level, or will you go over specific points, or something else entirely?

It'll most likely be a combination of all of those things. I'll be summing up how the level plays but I'll also talk about how well/not-well parts of the level work and how it feels to me and all that.