Good high jump challenges

• 7 Replies

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Good high jump challenges
« on: July 25, 2015, 22:44:07 »
I'm making a challenge level where the player starts off with run and high jump (no climb), and I'm trying to think of good challenges that take advantage of it. I guess I'm so used to the player having climb that I've got a bit of a mental block about this. Does anyone have any ideas for high jump challenges? Examples would be fine, too.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Good high jump challenges
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 23:22:53 »
I made a map called Learning to Jump, which is a trickjump style map. Perhaps it has some ideas for you?

You can find it on the level archive.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 04:24:37 »
Thank you, but I specifically wanted challenges that made use of the high jump, which Learning to Jump doesn't do. And besides that, I don't really like the style of that level (jumps are too, well, tricky for me). If you have any other level suggestions I'm all ears, though.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 06:36:36 »
In Shipwrecked there's a challenge where the ceiling is spiked and you need to jump over creatures. If you hold the jump too long, you hit the ceiling.

Other than that all I can think of are typical jumping challenges which are geared towards having those powers. For example, requiring the player to jump over the purple spider as it runs beneath them is difficult without the high-jump and highly difficult without any powers. So, for a level of normal difficulty it is a good challenge for the combination of run and high-jump powers.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 16:00:59 »
A few ideas:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 17:13:44 by pfrangip »

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 21:20:48 »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
I may be an expert on environmental levels, but on challenges I tend to get stuck. We can't be good at everything, after all.  :P

Anyway, thanks for your help, Egomassive and pfangrip! Your advice has given me some ideas.

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 19:23:08 »
As far as I remember Craig Pennell's Death of a God is good place to practice jumping (and other things). It's a very large and difficult level with several endings (probably), but I like it. I think in some certain area the sign says: You need the high jump to reach the upper areas, or something like that.
It's also on the level archive.
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 11:39:42 »
I was just playing The Tower of Joy and thought x1021y1012 was quite a nice high jump challenge. The screens that immediately follow it may also provide some inspiration.