• View Profile
    • illustrators-web-gallery
Pseudo 3D in Knytt.
« on: July 16, 2015, 14:30:54 »
Hi people !

Just a suggestion to introduce (pseudo 3D) in Knytt:

(Seen from above).

Kira.

I do not speak English very well. I apologize in advance for my mistakes or my misunderstanding.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Pseudo 3D in Knytt.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 15:10:00 »
That would be neat, but how would you make it? I can imagine creating the landscape in a 3D modeler. Then taking images to use as background gradients.

In A Knytt in Time I tried to do parallax scrolling with the distant hills and volcano. I'm not sure it was worth the effort.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 22:52:57 »
I've done parallax scrolling as well, but this is obviously a bit of a different matter.

Doing the art for this sort of thing would require a lot of extra detail and redrawing of background objects. Honestly, it seems like a lot of extra work for something that probably won't look all that spectacular. I could see it done well for specific scenes, where something in the middle of the ring ought to be focused on, like if Juni were approaching some kind of monolithic space ship or something.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 22:49:59 »
I think it could work if you had one background object that you were not only focusing on, but supposed to be circumnavigating and eventually getting closer to... Like a castle.

I think my favorite example of pseudo-3D is in what I believe was Talps' level Eurydice, where Juni is moving toward a statue in the background that keeps getting bigger, until you're literally a tiny little knytt on one of his fingers.