[Maze/Misc.] [Small] [Easy] Dark House

• 10 Replies

Offline Healy

• View Profile
[Maze/Misc.] [Small] [Easy] Dark House
« on: July 31, 2015, 02:29:34 »
Dark House is a short level I made while I was making a much larger one. Basically it's a dark maze implemented in Knytt Stories. There are some secrets to find, including one that may be rather hard to get. (If you get too frustrated with it, you have my permission to look it up in the editor.) Music is by Kevin "incompetech" MacLeod. (No screens.)

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the level! Here you go! (This isn't even the first time this has happened.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:20:55 by Healy »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: Maze/Misc.] [Small] [Easy] Dark House
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:56:14 »
Me no see level.  :/

Edit: Ah there we go.

I like it. Short, sweet, and the radios tie it all together nicely.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:35:50 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Re: [Maze/Misc.] [Small] [Easy] Dark House
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 03:30:14 »
Fixed it; thanks and sorry.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 17:08:18 »
That was sweet; loooong ago I tried something similar in 'Eurydice' and, like you, had the effect diminished by the corners missing off of those black blocks. KS+ has a nice alternative where you can place a mask over the screen that follows Juni's movements, so if said mask is black with a clear middle you can create the same effect.

I fear I'm not describing it well; see it in action by travelling down one screen from the start in this level.

The secret radio was too difficult a jump for me. I did find the other secrets and I liked how the radios contributed to the atmosphere; it was a fun little level with a rewarding ending.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 21:55:33 »
That was pretty neat. I liked the mystery/suspenseful atmosphere a lot. The "To the Breaker Room" sign confused me a bit, though. I thought those were doors and I kept trying to go in there for a little while, until I realized I was just being an idiot  X)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 22:13:52 »
That was sweet; loooong ago I tried something similar in 'Eurydice' and, like you, had the effect diminished by the corners missing off of those black blocks. KS+ has a nice alternative where you can place a mask over the screen that follows Juni's movements, so if said mask is black with a clear middle you can create the same effect. ...
Lol, the first thing I did after playing this level, was to re-make it for KS+. Fortunately/unfortunately I discovered a bug that prevented me from showing the exterior of the house.

Healy, I know you don't use KS+ yourself, but with your permission I'd like to release the KS+ edit of this level once I fix KS+. I could make a video of it so you can see if it meets your approval.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 05:59:26 »
Okay! Just make it clear that the revision is your own work (i.e., put a "Modified for KS+ by egomassive" credit on it, or something along those lines). And be sure to send me a video of it in action before you put it up; there's some little extras I put in there that I don't want to get lost in the transition.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 01:08:41 »
Between this and "House Key," you're really doing well with these tiny levels lately!

This was fun. I've already played it twice. And, like House Key,  I will probably play it again.  :)

I liked the radios, too. Extremely minimalist wording with maximum effect for each.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 05:29:41 »
With Healy's permission I've made a KS+ conversion of this level. It uses KS+ features to implement the darkness of the house. You will need KS+ 1.1.9 or later to play it.

Get Dark House + 1.2 MB

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 03:18:43 »
Pretty good choice of elements for a short level like this! Now, one thing...

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 03:35:02 »
This was a really cute level! I smiled at the end. I found the secret radio before I did anything else lol.