The Journey - A game inspired on all Knytt Games . [On Greenlight]

• 5 Replies

Offline Guunnz

• View Profile
Hey guys, im a really fan of Knytt Games, bah, all Nifflas games, that i've got inspired to become a game dev.

This is The Journey, a game about, exploration, creatures, and all that you guys know and love if you are here.

Storyline

The journey tells the story about Bob, who goes on an adventure to find his friend who left the village out of curiosity after learning that a lot of villagers who also were never returned.

His journey takes place, in a lot of new places where every place has it own atmosphere , creatures and people that he never met before .
They help Bob to find his friend in exchange for favors in during the exploration and they give him a lot of information about the people who never returned to the village.

Who are those creatures?
Where's bobīs friend?
Why the people left the village and never returned?

Find out voting The Journey on greenlight.

○Key Features
○Tons of rooms to explore.
○Tons of secrets.
○Beautiful Atmosphere
○Open world, ready to be explored.
○Unique audio experience.

We are 2 guys working on this game and hope you guys like it and give me some feedback! we really appreciate it.

Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=469919337

Thanks!

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
Looks quite interesting to say the least. Can't wait to see this completed.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
So I figured I would give some feedback to this, I know a release on steam is a personal investment for the developer and I personally doubt this game is worth that investment.
Here's the thing: I'm essentially the target audience for this game. I love atmospheric platform games and the knytt series is a series that's very close to my heart. But I can tell you now that I probably won't buy this game. What I've gathered from the trailers and the images the game appears to be very, and I mean VERY, inspired by Knytt Underground and Limbo. Almost as if it's just a cross between these two games.
However, Limbo had a super creepy atmosphere with a story told to you as you play the game, it was really immersive. That is what made it big, this game doesn't seem to have that.
Knytt Underground had really creatively designed enemies and challenges, that plus the fact that you play as a ball in some of the game and even morphing between ball and knytt form which allows for creative puzzles. What I've seen of this game it has a sawblade, a box and a button, plus you can climb walls. None of these things are really "new" or "interesting".

So I don't understand why I should be even remotely interested in this, what makes this game intresting to me as a consumer?

I'm not trying to be mean here, you've clearly spent quite a bit of time making this game. But as this is an investment both time-wise and money-wise I hope that there is something there to get customers interested. I saw you mention in the comments that, and I quote: "i can tell that gameplay is like any knytt game." This is the problem, you need to have something there that's different. Right now it looks like a custom level to an already existing game.

I hope my fears here are unfounded, and best of luck to you.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 02:40:43 by bulbapuck »
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Guunnz

• View Profile
Good point , we thought about that this game need something to be unique and have its own style, we'll add a pet for the main character with some special abilities to help your character during the game.
i'd love to hear what do you like to see in the game, it's almost finished, (around 70% ~) but we can take our time a do it much longer and fun.
We don't care taking another year and a half,  but we want to make a great game because we love atmospherics and exploring game, and this genre needs more games.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
A pet is a good idea, and it's something that can make the game a very different experience.

An idea like this could be a major focus in the game, going on this journey with a companion and having the player develop an emotional bond to him/her. You could have sequences where for instance you put the main character in great peril, and really grind in the impression that the main character will die here, only to have this companion come in and save the day. You can often play around with ideas like this to really create that emotional bond. It is something that makes a game truly memorable.

Have you ever played ICO? This is a game that mastered that concept. In the game you try to escape from a prison. In there you discover a girl trapped in a cage and set her free. Before then the game was simply "get from point A to point B", but after this that was no longer the challenge. The player needed her as she had the magic ability to open doors. But she was weak, probably ill, so you had to make sure she was safe always. Things like this create an emotional bond that made it so that when she was taken away, the player would want to save her. This was really cool as the game was about escaping, but in stead the player felt a need to go back in and rescue her.

The mistake one can make with this is that the pet could be "tacked on" and not really needed. A good example of this is "Prince of Persia" for xbox360. In that game you travelled with a girl that would always save your life. You never did anything for her and she was so good at saving your life that there was literally no challenge to that game. It was a truly terrible game, beautiful, but terrible.

As long as it's clear that they depend on each other, the game concept would have improved considerably.
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
I take it the music will be one of the last things put into the game? The idea of the pet interests me and I hope its not a tacked on gimmick.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud