Knytt Stories on Nintendo New 3DS XL

• 4 Replies

Offline zhynna

• View Profile
Knytt Stories on Nintendo New 3DS XL
« on: May 16, 2015, 13:48:01 »
Hi all.

There is a homebrew version of Knytt Stories running on Nintendo DS. Is it possible to run this homebrew version on Nintendo New 3DS XL? Is there a version of Knytt Stories for Nintendo New 3DS XL or PS Vita?

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
Re: Knytt Stories on Nintendo New 3DS XL
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 19:40:56 »
You can propably run DS homebrew version of Knytt Stories on any 3DS with a flashcard, but I'm not sure. As for PS Vita, it's impossible.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 20:40:51 »
That sounds about right; the fan-made port of KS for the DS would probably work on a DSi (and maybe a 3DS while in DS mode, but I have no idea about the new one). My limited understanding of the matter is that the "New" 3DS can also play DS games- and so if there's a flashcard that would work and can boot such a thing, then the custom KS port may work. Nintendo has a habit of locking flashcards out of their systems- I don't think people have actually managed to get DSi-specific features easily working on homebrew, and the DSi isn't exactly new (namely, that'd be the camera and better wifi capabilities, I think?). My point is, I don't know how reliable any suggestions of using homebrew on a 3DS are. Since they often update the 3DS systems with new firmware, what may work today may not tomorrow. If either the 3DS or the New 3DS have a flashcard that can launch a DS-mode application, then it probably would work. I can't tell if/what that may be, though.

To further dive into the question; I believe the port of KS had some technical challenges since the DS can't just load a lot of graphics and things like a computer, so I don't know if things like the custom animated objects were ever supported (as the key example). A lot of levels ended up using those small features that were added in the last official KS version. If you do manage to play the port on the 3DS, it'll only look (and play) as good at the port did on a DS, since that's what it was designed for. It seems pretty unlikely there will be an update for the 3DS at this point (or any updates; I don't think I've seen that user around much). For the same reason, a full Vita homebrew port doesn't sound likely for the same reason, although I thought the same user was doing/did a PSP port as well.. But, again, Sony has their stuff just as locked as Nintendo and unfortunately, I'm not aware if the Vita has a 'backwards compatibility' mode for the PSP, which means it'd have to be re-made.

I might as well also say that an official port of Knytt Stories to anything seems pretty unlikely; I think Nifflas is fairly satisfied with how far Knytt Stories has gone, and it would be hard for him to just port it to entirely different hardware types (particularly if it's limited to being homebrew which is easily broken by gaming manufactures). I wish there was a more optimistic "yes, sure!", but the truth is that it's trial and error, and whichever way it is, it'll only work by running the existing version which is only for a DS (again; maybe a 3DS card will run it via DS mode, which would be awesome; but I don't know).

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 20:02:29 »
It seems pretty unlikely there will be an update for the 3DS at this point (or any updates; I don't think I've seen that user around much).

I come here from time to time... like, every three months  :P2. Whenever I see some mention to Nifflas' games out there. Although now I came here because I am going to revamp my website and I am checking that the links are working  ;).

I didn't try Knytt Stories DS on a 3DS. In fact, I even don't know what the state of the scene at this point. But, if there is a way (now or in the future) to play DS homebrew in the 3DS, then Knytt Stories DS should be playable... or not, since it uses several "hacks" to work (like the ability to play mp3 music).

Anyway, if someone in the future reads this post and is able to put Knytt Stories on a 3DS "flashcart" (or whatever), then send me a message. If the game doesn't work, I'll try my best to make it work. Knytt Stories is very close to my heart.

PS: I wasn't going to port the game to the PSP, but at one point I started to port the game to Android phones / iOS. And then I abandoned it  :sigh:.
PS2: Custom animated objects were added to the last version of KSDS :-D, although it was really a crude hack  X-P.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 04:49:22 »
Haha. Sorry! But I did at least remember you! But no big deal; a lot of people aren't around too much. It's a shame some of the other ports were stopped -- I actually wonder if the PSP port would have been useful if at least for the fact the PSP seems the easy to patch with CFW. I regret having not paid enough attention to the homebrew version- I didn't know you had managed to get the custom objects in there. Pretty impressive, even if you call it a 'crude hack' (technically, making Knytt Stories work on a DS doesn't sound like it'd be straightforward or clean to begin with; so seriously, any working attempt is amazing). I too hope that running it on a 3DS flashcart would work, but I don't know of such a card to suggest to anyone, and I admit to generally leaving my handhelds alone. It's good to see you around and that you're still interested in it, if at least to check if there's any compatibility issues trying to run it on a 3DS. Again, though, the original post specifies a "New 3DS", so my optimism of finding a working, reliable flashcart for that is even lower. :/