[Misc.] [Easy][Small] Pineapple ( My first knytt stories level!)

• 8 Replies

Offline David C

• View Profile
So i only heard about knytt stories last year on jayisgames, and i loved it. I only played the custom levels starting a 6 months ago, which i also loved. what better way to share the love by making a silly little custom level in one night? i hope you enjoy playing it as much as i enjoyed making it! (aka, with some happiness, some doubt, but overall fullfillment and the freedom that comes from not taking anything too seriously and just going forward full steam)
Here it is http://knyttlevels.com/levels/david%20-%20pineapple.knytt.bin   <3 <3

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: [Misc.] [Easy][Small] Pineapple ( My first knytt stories level!)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 10:33:20 »
This is a surprisingly good level that likely won't be perceived as such by most people who play it. My advice is to keep at it until you reach the end.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:25:22 »
I understand that this level is not to be taken too seriously. However, I did spot a major Void Screen access near the end of the level, at x999y999. If you jump from there toward the left, you can pass a void screen, get stuck in the roof of x998y1000, then wallswim your way to the left side and fall into an infinite void.

I do hope that you will make more levels for us. As you may have seen by now, some of us will work on these for literally years. And, despite the fact that Knytt Stories is 8 years old at this point, many of us are still making levels, so there's definitely more to come.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 13:40:00 »
Congrats on releasing your first level!

That was short but kinda funny. I liked the dialogue and the premise of the level. I found some misalignments here and there that led to wallswims, besides the one Fubaka mentioned:

Spoiler: Misalignments (click to show/hide)

Hope you keep making new levels :) You probably know this by now, but it's pretty amazing what you can accomplish with the KS editing tools.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline David C

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 19:59:49 »
interesting to see all your thoughts, i didn't realize all these things, maybe i'll fix it up a bit, and add a little, at least maybe getting rid of the void screen access, because that just takes the player right out of it. i'll certainly make more levels, i love what's come out of this community.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 23:19:44 »
I did enjoy it, it made me smirk for the few minutes it took to play. I hope you make some more!  :)

This is a surprisingly good level that likely won't be perceived as such by most people who play it. My advice is to keep at it until you reach the end.

Would you care to enlighten the less enlightened of us?

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I sorta get the appeal to this level, the organized disorganization, the surrealism, the hint of a deeper theme... But to me that works best when you actually have a deeper theme. I don't think it does. To me, this feels more like dadaism than post-modernism.

But for those who like it, including the author, may I also recommend to you Bitter Liver by saba, and three or four of the levels by Yohji

Offline David C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 00:48:30 »
thanks for the recommendations, i played 2 or 3 of yohji's levels, i liked them
i don't know how to make deeper themes, i'm just a person with a little time to spare, and a love of strange ideas and silly jokes, and yes, the more nihilistic arty stuff like noise/ambient music and david firth's cartoons.
glad you enjoyed it!
the thing that sergio saw is actually something i didn't even notice myself until i really looked closely
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 01:10:50 »
i don't know how to make deeper themes, i'm just a person with a little time to spare, and a love of strange ideas and silly jokes, and yes, the more nihilistic arty stuff like noise/ambient music and david firth's cartoons.

Bud, we are gonna get along just fine.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 04:34:51 »
thanks for the recommendations, i played 2 or 3 of yohji's levels, i liked them

Oh yeah. I do love Salad Fingers, and the Men from Upstairs. :p

One of the all time great examples of intentional wall swims was in a level, I can't remember which, where Juni ascended to heaven at the end of the level. The author used a combination of Wall Swims, invisible tiles, and the sticky tile to control Junis ascent.