Difference between mp3 and flac soundtrack

• 7 Replies
Difference between mp3 and flac soundtrack
« on: December 15, 2014, 12:13:36 »
I downloaded both the bandcamp flac folder and the mp3 folder to see if there was any difference. After comparing the song list, I found that there are three songs in mp3 that are not in flac: Dub Dictator Goes to Berlin (Alternative), Berliner Bratwurst, and Neon Fall. All three are in the Upbeat subfolder. Is there a reason for their absence in flac format?

Another smaller thing I noticed is the different cover.png files. I really like the ones included with the mp3 files. And maybe it's just me, but the cover for the flac kinda looks like the game screenshot has some artifacting, which is disappointing.

Finally, thank you to everyone that worked on the music. It absolutely continued the high quality the Knytt universe is known for.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:17:45 by wormingdead »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: Difference between mp3 and flac soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 23:06:06 »
Hey! I'm not sure why they are different. I'm hosting the mp3 version on ni2.se but because of bandwidth reasons not hosting the flac. I'll look into if I can host a flac edition of that though. Differences between the content may be related to that I'm managing the mp3 version myself while I didn't set up the flac version and graphics myself.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 00:52:50 »
Thanks for the response, Nifflas. Since you don't know why those songs aren't on bandcamp, would it be safe to assume that there are lossless recordings of them? And that they were not posted due to a mistake or some other reason rather than them not existing in that format?

And, I completely understand about not wanting to host giant flac files.

Offline loner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 21:59:35 »
Hello. Just wondering if there's an update to this issue, as well as providing additional details:

1. Some tracks are missing from the Bandcamp release:
- Dub Dictator Goes to Berlin*
- Berliner Bratwurst
- Neon Fall

*note: "Dub Dictator Goes to Berlin" in the bandcamp release is actually "Dub Dictator Goes to Berlin (Alternative)" in the ni2.se release. One of the versions of the track is missing from Bandcamp.

2. Some tracks have inconsistent titles between releases:
- Dub Dictator Goes to Berlin (Alternative) (ni2.se)
- Dub Dictator Goes to Berlin (bandcamp)

- Eight-Headed Mystery Dungeon Monster (ni2.se)
- Eight-Header Mystery Dungeon Monster (bandcamp) <-- obvious typo

- In The Darkness, The Gigantic Drum Bell of Kwakwrakniseereth (ni2.se)
- In The Darkness, The Gigantic Bell of Kwakwrakniseereth (bandcamp)

- Who is This? (ni2.se)
- Who is This! (bandcamp) <-- grammatically incorrect

also:
- Mattebos Mandolin (same in both releases) <-- shouldn't this be "Mattebo's Mandolin"?

3. Some tracks have different duration between releases.
Many of Bandcamp tracks just have 2-10 seconds of silence at the end removed, which is a non-issue (though it would still be nice to bring both soundtracks to the same lengths for the sake of consistency). However there's still a problem with these two tracks:
- "Ljus"
- "Underwater Lab Tune (Alternative Version)"
Both are slightly cut-off at the very end in the Bandcamp version, whereas Ni2.se version has a perfectly smooth fade-out. This sudden cutoff may be noticeable on some sound setups or listening environments.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 22:18:13 by loner »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 00:26:43 »
The reason for not using a ' in the title can be due to filenames on webservers not accepting it. Better safe than sorry.

As for the slightly cut-off, can you make sure it is not something your player does? With very large files, some players want to "enhance" the listening experience by loading the next tune just before the end of the song to have a faster transition. With very large files, this can result in cut-off of a song, if ever so slightly.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline loner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 02:58:09 »
The reason for not using a ' in the title can be due to filenames on webservers not accepting it. Better safe than sorry.
I wasn't talking about the filename though, I meant the track title embedded inside the file (just like artist's name and album title are). Some other tracks have ' in their titles (not filenames), so this is definitely not a webserver issue.

As for the slightly cut-off, can you make sure it is not something your player does? With very large files, some players want to "enhance" the listening experience by loading the next tune just before the end of the song to have a faster transition. With very large files, this can result in cut-off of a song, if ever so slightly.
Yes, I've made sure. I compared tracks in different music players, looked at track's duration as shown in file properties, and also I looked at the tracks' waveform in an audio editor. They definitely have different lengths.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 23:34:33 »
I don't wish to be bothersome, but was this topic ever solved? The Bandcamp release doesn't seem to have changed and there still only seems to be a MP3 version up on ni2.

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 17:25:31 »
Hello. Just wondering if there's an update to this issue, as well as providing additional details: [...]

3. Some tracks have different duration between releases.
Many of Bandcamp tracks just have 2-10 seconds of silence at the end removed, which is a non-issue (though it would still be nice to bring both soundtracks to the same lengths for the sake of consistency). However there's still a problem with these two tracks:
- "Ljus"
- "Underwater Lab Tune (Alternative Version)"
Both are slightly cut-off at the very end in the Bandcamp version, whereas Ni2.se version has a perfectly smooth fade-out. This sudden cutoff may be noticeable on some sound setups or listening environments.

Add "The Bolt of Awakinsomawan" to that list. (Bumping because kilicool is compiling a list of the OST problems.)