[Easy/Normal, Maze, KS+] Pitfall II KS+

• 6 Replies
[Easy/Normal, Maze, KS+] Pitfall II KS+
« on: December 03, 2014, 02:56:49 »
Hey! One of my favorite games when I was a kid was Pitfall II - The Lost Caverns. I recently discovered KS+, and though it'd be perfect for a (somewhat) recreation of it (though it may have some surprises for anyone acquainted with the original game). This is based off the 5200/8-bit Atari version of the game, so it has the second level.

For the first part the art style is all over the place, though I tried to stay more consistent during the second part. Let me know what you think, especially if you've played the original from 30+ years ago (and even if you haven't)!

Download Pitfall II KSPlus
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:59:34 by MisterKerr »
Neat!

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: [Easy/Normal, Maze, KS+] Pitfall II KS+
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 16:16:50 »
This is such a dauntingly huge level! But I've found two keys, so I must be doing kind of OK.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 18:23:36 »
This is such a dauntingly huge level! But I've found two keys, so I must be doing kind of OK.

It may help to know that, in the second part of the game there are six sections in the world, and all but one of them contain either a key or the exit. The one that doesn't is the most...sinister!
Neat!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 18:44:24 »
Played a bit. Very repetative and has next to no save points. Enemies are there to irritate you when you suddenly land on them, rather than to provide any meaningful challenge.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 18:47:23 by GrayFace »

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 19:03:42 »
The repetitiveness was a big part of the original, too, mostly due to memory constraints, but I think it's part of the charm: the feeling of getting lost in a giant world where you're not sure if you've been that way before. I added some background stuff, at least, to make it a little easier to find your way around, and the second part is a bit more coherent in that regard. As for the save points, they're also right where they are in the original; if you think they're too sparse, I added a lot more in easy mode.
Neat!

Offline McGloomy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 01:09:38 »
I love the idea of revisiting retro games as Juni! I played your level for a while and I can imagine how much work and effort you put into it. The different backgrounds often looked pretty random, but overall they helped me with keeping my orientation. My biggest problem was that I didn't really know what to do. Was I supposed to get to the end of the level or collect all the coins? Then I reached Level 2 (I think) and ended up feeling even more clueless and lost. Part of the problem is that I don't really know the original game - if this was a homage to Super Mario Bros. or Prince of Persia I would probably understand the concept a lot better... in the end I think this works more as an experiment for Pitfall fans. You know what would be cool? A more accesible, classic Knytt Stories level that's inspired by the spirit of Pitfall instead of being a complete remake. I'd love to play that! :)

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 01:33:49 »
You know what would be cool? A more accesible, classic Knytt Stories level that's inspired by the spirit of Pitfall instead of being a complete remake. I'd love to play that! :)

That's a pretty good idea! I could redo it where the basic level layout is similar, but with a better story and objective other than "get to the end." I'll see what I can do.
Neat!