[Puzzle/Challenge] [KS+] Deep Freeze

• 59 Replies

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
[Puzzle/Challenge] [KS+] Deep Freeze
« on: November 05, 2014, 08:40:35 »
Deep underwater lies an abandoned structure, built to test a bizarre form of navigation.  The only living remnants are the creatures that eventually drove out all other life.  But... a lot of budget went into breeding those golden ones, so you should probably go get them.

Deep Freeze is the evolution of an idea I've been brewing in my head for a long while, a really neat idea that I discovered while experimenting with KS+.  It's a mixture of explorative, semi-linear gameplay with more strict challenge sections. The majority of the puzzles are made possible with this mechanic.  I'd like to keep it a surprise to anyone who would prefer not to be spoiled (because I think it's really cool, and I'm not sure I've seen anyone else do it, not even outside of Knytt Stories!), but if you're curious...

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Deep Freeze uses a simplified version of Egomassive's submarine tileset, since I've never been too terribly comfortable managing a high level of detail in levels, and it'll include custom music by yours truly.  I'll probably need a playtester or two as well, so volunteers for that are welcome.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:17:48 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: [Puzzle/Challenge] [KS+] Deep Freeze
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 11:40:59 »
That trick had occurred to me but I never got around to testing it and seeing if'n'how it works. Look forward to seeing what you can do with it!

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 22:51:51 »
That sounds very interesting indeed. How large do you plan to make the level? How difficult will the challenges be?
I've never meta pun I didn't like.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 01:23:03 »
That trick had occurred to me but I never got around to testing it and seeing if'n'how it works. Look forward to seeing what you can do with it!
Yeah, I'm not surprised that someone else had noticed it was possible, since it seems really obvious, but I think it's really neat, regardless!

That sounds very interesting indeed. How large do you plan to make the level? How difficult will the challenges be?
These are details that I'm still not entirely clear on, which is why I didn't tag the thread with them.  If I had to guess, though, I'd probably categorize the difficulty as Hard and the level size as Medium.  Currently, I've created about 50 unique screens, and I imagine the end product will probably have double that.  I'm... not quite sure how big that is in terms of KS levels, even though I've played tons of 'em.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 10:35:26 »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 06:21:38 »
The only issue I could see with trying to keep the "gimmick" a secret is that most of this discussion will be in spoiler tags.  Hopefully that's okay.  :P2

Also, this next one comin' up is... well, it's really really big.
Spoiler: In response to Talps (click to show/hide)
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 06:31:18 »
Sounds intriguing. If there are any bugs you need me to work out of KS+ before this is released let me know.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 00:43:30 »

In any case, I've reached roughly 75 complete, unique screens, even though I'm still not quite finished with the first or second areas.  There aren't very many "filler" screens, so each one is a big step toward finishing this level.  By now, I've gotten a better sense of the scale of this level - I'm imagining that the finished level will be looking to be somewhere between 120-150 screens, the majority of which will contain their own challenge or puzzle to tackle.

In addition, since the level does utilize custom music, I figure it wouldn't be out of place to have a preview of one of the tracks.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 00:54:59 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 06:45:29 »
In addition, since the level does utilize custom music, I figure it wouldn't be out of place to have a preview of one of the tracks.

Niiice.

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 22:13:32 »
Looking forward to this level. Looks cool and the music preview is good!
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 04:10:22 »
Spoiler: about the sound issues (click to show/hide)

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 08:23:41 »
Well, it's been nearly a month, but I've reached roughly 100 unique screens in Deep Freeze.  Progress has slowed considerably since I began, but that's to be expected.  I'm still chipping away at it, little by little.

To keep this thread alive (and give a little life to the forum in general), I'm tossing up another screenshot.  This one comes from the game's third "area," showing one of the few challenge screens in the level that doesn't use the main "mechanic."  For a fairly long time, I've found the hologram to be a criminally underutilized gadget for how versatile it is, so this particular area is based almost entirely around its use.

@Egomassive:  Yeah, I kind of figured that it was an overtaxing sort of thing, that's why I had a feeling it couldn't be helped.  It's unfortunate, but I can design around it without much trouble.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 11:01:48 »
Whee, umbrella challenge! :D

And if you think you can use the hologram effectively, then i say good luck to you sir! (Said the guy who had recently spent a lot of effort contriving an excuse to take the hologram away from Juni a significantly short time after giving it to her.)

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 18:38:42 »

And if you think you can use the hologram effectively, then i say good luck to you sir! (Said the guy who had recently spent a lot of effort contriving an excuse to take the hologram away from Juni a significantly short time after giving it to her.)

That's always it, right?  I did the same thing in my level! :P

Also, I can beta test for this if you'd have me.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 19:16:55 »

The umbrella is also a little underused, in my opinion, so it gets an almost excessive amount of love in this level.  Most people prefer to give things like double jump, high jump, or climb earlier on, but for me, I think the umbrella is a great starter (with run given as a default).  Combined with the wind object, it's a wonderful tool for creating vertical level design that feels fast and smooth while still restricting the player so that they can't get over a two-block height without some help.  It also helps make the platforming more forgiving, which I prefer.

As for the hologram, it's funny you mention that...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

@Fubaka:  Thanks for the offer!  I'll probably get that to you in the... relatively near future.  I'll try to make sure the first three sections are taken care of, then I'll get it all sent your way.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 19:28:27 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud