Need beta testers for my game Circular (Web/Android)

• 40 Replies

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
Re: Need your funky music for a rhythm game! (Game demo inside)
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 19:58:01 »
But I guess it is in human nature to tell other people things are as such even though they do not fully understand the concept and as such spread the wrong info. I often have seen people call music a certain style while it really wasn't, but they just didn't know which style it was. Techno is a good example. That style has been really taken out of contest because people just started to call any dance music with a strong electro vibe techno while it used to be much more refined. I've also seen classical music being mistaken for New Age.

Or the way so many people -- native-English-speaking Americans, at least -- call all kinds of non-ironic things "ironic" ...though I think we can safely blame Alanis Morrissette for most of that. How she got confused about irony in the first part remains an open question, however.

Would you consider the one secret area in KU where the robots' movements / attacks are timed to the music a proper rhythm game? (I think the area I'm thinking of is called Neon Falls, but the lack of labeling in-game, along with the ridonkulous abundance of secret areas, makes keeping track of which one is which quite challenging!)

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Need your funky music for a rhythm game! (Game demo inside)
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 20:21:38 »
Yes, I would consider those (there are more) areas to be rhythmic based. There are also the areas where you transfer between bob and mi automatically.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
Re: Need beta testers for my game Circular (Web/Android)
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2014, 14:58:37 »

The Android beta version for Circular is available now. If you wanna help me test this game, join this Google+ community and then follow the instructions on this page. If you don't like Google+, which is understandable, and want the .apk, send me a PM.

Play the Web version of Circular here here. Use mouse left click, nothing else (optimized for touch screens).

The game includes two compositions by LPChip, one of them is the main menu theme, the other is the song used for the "Normal" level, and both of them sound really cool, so you should check it out :)
I really need to know how the Android version is working for everyone because of how vastly different all the Android devices are, so if you have one I'd be very grateful if you could give it a shot.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 15:01:13 by Raicuparta »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2014, 04:26:30 »
Sadly, the game is barely playable on my Asus EEE Pad Transformer TF101 due to a low frame rate and input lag.

Also, as I was exiting normal mode, this happened:

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 18:41:54 »
And that's a pretty decent device too, isn't it? Handles 3D games well and everything?
Honestly wondering if it's worth the effort to release an android version that will only work on a few devices or if I should release the desktop version only... Maybe I'll worry about mobile later...

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 08:18:14 »
And that's a pretty decent device too, isn't it? Handles 3D games well and everything?

It's supposed to be, but it's kinda not. The framerate also drags on stuff like Chuck's Challenge. There's surely a way to optimise your game to run well on it, but it's beyond my level of expertise.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 08:49:39 »

It's supposed to be, but it's kinda not. The framerate also drags on stuff like Chuck's Challenge. There's surely a way to optimise your game to run well on it, but it's beyond my level of expertise.
Sergio, do you run any software on it to kill tasks? I know by experience that on most tablets, people tend to not close tasks properly and developers do not build in proper exit routines, as its supposed to be suspended in the background, but if you actually kill the tasks, the device speeds up dramatically, and lag problems vanish. I use System Monitor to close tasks I no longer use that can't be closed properly.

System Monitor also allows you to do close background tasks automatically which is a huge plus for me. Not all tasks should be closed though, but experience will tell you which one you should and which one you shouldn't. System tasks you shouldn't closed cannot be closed.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 09:09:21 »
My Android tablet died last year, but we decided to get me a new one, since our 'unofficial niece' who shares a birthday with me also needed a new tablet, & we found a good deal on NewEgg. It should be arriving later this week, at which point I'll be glad to do the LoCP-level beta testing for the game. It looks (and sounds!) great, even if trying to actually play it will probably not be my cup of tea.  ;)

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2014, 16:50:05 »
The game has been published publicly on Kongregate. Click here to play.
This version lets you submit your score to the score board if you're logged in to Kongregate. Give it a shot!
It is still not final yet, but the main game is there. Still need a few changes to the layout and this whole thing with choosing where to start the song at after you die.

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 00:01:51 »
Just saying, but the multiplier combo thing or whatever reminds me a lot of the one in GYRO, except a bit different. Is that a coincidence or...?

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2014, 04:14:09 »
Yeah, I think it is. Although I did play GYRO when it first appeared, really nice game. I just think it's pretty boring after a while, could have used the thrill of some rhythm related stuff in it :P But yeah, it's ridiculously addictive.
The combo being the way it is was just the first way I could come up with of adding that indicator without any other number cluttering the UI. That is also why the multiplier is shown in the background instead of a number in the corner.
I guess I should give it a play again some time to see if it helps me with keeping a clean style. I want to have the least amount of text possible in the game in the final version (think of Angry Birds, you don't need any text at all to play, everything is so obvious).

By the way, I have completely dropped development of the web version, so it will stay the way it is now (there was an update recently with links to the composer's pages, a settings screen and some other stuff). I am now remaking the game from scratch with Libgdx. It's still not too low level programming, does a lot of the heavy lifting for me, but it's still the lowest I've ever programmed for a complete game, so it will still take some time. But I am really enjoying my experience with Libgdx so far, and the game is running really well on very sub-par Android phones, even though right now there isn't a lot of content. Also, with Libgdx I can easily port it to iOS, all I need is a device and a developer account.