Knytt Stories Launcher

• 6 Replies
Knytt Stories Launcher
« on: September 09, 2014, 23:30:05 »
I made a launcher for Knytt Stories.

Each button does what it says it does, as long as your folder looks a bit like this.
It's based on the source to a binding of isaac launcher, which I've used several times to make launchers for other things.

Download | Source | KS+ | KS Ex | Steam Icon
I made this because I put all my games in steam, so I needed one executable which allows me to start everything, then I went overboard with it a bit.

I might take suggestions for things to add to it, so let me know if there's anything you think I should add in that I missed.
Note that I can always tweak the ui to fit more stuff, so don't hold back on suggestions.

(I posted it here because this seems to be relevant to the existing Knytt Stories mods, if it belongs somewhere else, mods move it plz)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 18:01:59 by cheatfreak47 »

Re: Knytt Stories Launcher
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 13:16:02 »
I'm not gonna use this, but :hiddenstar: anyway because it's an awesome concept.

Also, small question: Why do you have Knytt in that folder in the image?

Offline juhj

• This happens when I can't finish a level D:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 14:50:54 »
Nice little launcher, though is it unneeded, actually. No demand at all for something like this, unless your folder containing the KS exe's is cluttered. But good job anyway. Gives :hiddenstar:
image removed, became invalid
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 15:30:55 »
I'm not gonna use this, but :hiddenstar: anyway because it's an awesome concept.

Also, small question: Why do you have Knytt in that folder in the image?

No real reason, I just dropped it in the same folder as knytt stories when I downloaded it and added it to my steam library. Forgot about it when took the screenshot I guess.

As in said in the op, I made this so I could launch any knytt stories exe without cluttering my steam library with multiple exes.
Theres probably a couple other uses, like if someone wanted to make a knytt stories flash drive with autoplay, it might be nice.
I really just posted it because I like to share anything software related that I do.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 15:33:05 by cheatfreak47 »

Offline juhj

• This happens when I can't finish a level D:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 14:33:09 »
Just one thing: Can you make it that the Launcher doesn't crash when you click on a button whose target doesn't exist? (For example: If I don't have KS+ and I click on it on the Launcher, it should give an error, like: "Knytt Stories Plus cannot be found", instead of crashing.
image removed, became invalid
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 16:40:52 »
Just one thing: Can you make it that the Launcher doesn't crash when you click on a button whose target doesn't exist? (For example: If I don't have KS+ and I click on it on the Launcher, it should give an error, like: "Knytt Stories Plus cannot be found", instead of crashing.

I could write a handler for that, but it'd be easier to just make a version without the KS+ buttons. Or even easier for you to get KS+.
I'll upload a build without certain buttons if you tell me which ones to remove.

That goes out to anyone, btw, just ask and I'll do it. In the meantime I guess I'll write a handle for missing files, been needing to do that anyway.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 16:42:43 by cheatfreak47 »

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 18:05:02 »
Updated: Added an exception handler for missing executables.
Spoiler: Exception (click to show/hide)
Clicking OK simply closes the dialog for the user to click on something else.