Status update on the Jack (updated)

• 9 Replies

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
Status update on the Jack (updated)
« on: August 25, 2014, 06:06:36 »
First sorry to those waiting on replies from me, pm or otherwise.

I wanted to let everyone know I'll be back hopefully soon.

I spent last weekend having a surprise neurological event (they're still not sure if it's MS or maybe a stroke or what), the middle of the week finding out I'm developing macular degeneration (a kind of progressive blindness), and from Thursday to present fighting an infection that had me delirious with pain (and because the U.S. healthcare system is still so broken, I had to wait days for an antibiotic, never got pain management, and won't have the surgical intervention required until tomorrow at the earliest).

Typing is still challenging, so I'm dictating to my spouse. Say hi, baby.

["Hi, baby! :D"]

My focus and coordination are already noticeably improving. So hopefully I'll be back to 'work' on KS stuff soon. Good thing I'm already a card-carrying LoCP member, though. :rueful smile:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 16:43:23 by the Jack »

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Status update on the Jack
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 11:29:33 »
Oh wow. Take care man. Your health is far more important than Knytt Stories. I'm pretty sure everyone thinks the same.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 13:03:22 »
Dude :(

Hope the things that will get better get better soon, and the other things get worse extraordinarily slowly.

I'll be praying for you.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 15:46:22 »

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 17:34:54 »
Oh wow. Take care man. Your health is far more important than Knytt Stories. I'm pretty sure everyone thinks the same.

This.

The Jack, your health should be the most important thing right now. We'll hope for your return and we'll be wishing you the best, but you don't need to worry about us, we'll be happy to have you back whenever you're able. :)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 20:14:06 »
Your concern for us is touching. *gives a star*. You now have access to hidden-star benefits.

Offline Wrenbot

• View Profile
    • Wikia wiki for all Nifflas' Games
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 22:27:56 »
I don't personally know you Jack, but as a fellow lover of Nifflas' games I hope things get better!

Take it easy, and maybe play through WADF and Knytt Underground again while you get some rest.  :)
Check out the wiki at Nifflas.Wikia.com and help out! It needs entries and screenshots for characters, lore, secrets and easter eggs!

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
Re: Status update on the Jack (re-updated)
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 16:42:04 »
Hey everybody. Thanks for your kind words.

The minor surgery was minor & went smoothly, & the infection has cleared up, hopefully for good.

They caught the macular degeneration very early, before I ever would have noticed it affecting my vision. (I've always been near-sighted.) With precautions, especially wearing special protective lenses, the progression rate can be slowed way down. It's a bit sword-of-Damocles, but even worst case scenario wouldn't have me totally blind for years yet.

Clarification: I've had MS for almost 15 years. The question is whether what happened was 'just' an exacerbation (typical for relapsing-remitting MS), or something else like a stroke or 'mini-stroke' / TIA. I'm having to concentrate to do stuff l used to not need to think about, like typing. This is worsening the intention tremor (YouTube has good examples) I'd already had. It's frustrating that typing takes so long & tires me out... but doing it is essential to whatever degree of recovery is possible.

Re: KS vs my health.
Like my physical therapist says, having a personal goal (or goals) is essential. Clinical goals are required by insurers, but patients focus on what we want to get back the ability to do. So I'm working towards typing 25 wpm (I used to do 40-50), sure; but my goal is to be able to play KS levels again. Right now I have to cheat just to get through easy environmentals, mostly because I can't manage the multi-key jumps. I am already improving some. And I'm motivated.  8)

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: Status update on the Jack (updated)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 23:21:30 »
Best wishes. Hope things get better swiftly!

Re: Status update on the Jack (updated)
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 20:36:03 »
I'm very sorry to hear of how sick you are and sincerely hope things improve for you. Have you tried Dragon? http://www.nuance.co.uk/dragon/index.htm It would make things much easier for you if your tremor does not improve as much as desired; my father swears by it (and hardly ever at it!).
I've never meta pun I didn't like.