[Easy/Small/Environmental] I Lost My Cat

• 23 Replies
[Easy/Small/Environmental] I Lost My Cat
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:49:47 »
I made a short level. I'm supposed to be working on "The Journey Home," but I got side-tracked and made this level. It's an environmental level. I tried to make it scenic. And a little sad.

Plot: Juni has lost her cat.

I'd love to hear (read?) what you guys think.

Just two screenies, since the level's too short.  :^^:

EDIT: Knytt Stories Plus (by Egomassive) is needed to play this level.

Also, I just realized that it doesn't have an info screen, so I re-uploaded it:

http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Eris%20Constance%20-%20I%20Lost%20My%20Cat%20%28V2.0%29.knytt.bin.knytt.bin.knytt.bin
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:03:25 by Eris Constance »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Easy/Small/Environmental] I Lost My Cat
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 18:39:18 »
Nice little level Eris. Feels a lot like "I Chased the Moon". I enjoyed it very much.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 01:38:49 »
Nice little level Eris. Feels a lot like "I Chased the Moon". I enjoyed it very much.
LIBEL! You will hear from my solicitor in the morning!

I apologise, that was me trying to be funny.

That was sweet. I enjoyed it. Scenery was good. The area beyond the city was a little too bright in contrast to the earlier area, but that's be looking for things to criticise. Good use of the lack of upgrades, good piece of simple storytelling.

:)

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 03:35:59 »
Thank you, Egomassive and Talps!

As for the bright tileset, I was trying to make it out like Juni's mood was gloomy at the start then she'll eventually feel brighter somewhat, so I used the gray city tileset, followed by brighter tilesets.  Something like that. XD

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 12:12:46 »
The area beyond the city was a little too bright in contrast to the earlier area, but that's be looking for things to criticise.

Yes my shitty tileset doesn't compare to the quality of that city tileset.  :^^:

Nice and sad little level. Reminded me that my dog will die some day.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 16:49:40 »
The area beyond the city was a little too bright in contrast to the earlier area, but that's be looking for things to criticise.

Yes my shitty tileset doesn't compare to the quality of that city tileset.  :^^:

Not what I said! O_O Just bright by contrast!
I found the transition a little too sharp, but with such a small level sticking in a third set to bridge the gap may have dragged things out unnecessarily.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 14:55:46 »
Very nice and polished level. It suggests a distinct authorial style that has me looking forward to The Journey Home (or any future levels from you). In particular I liked your attention to detail putting in messages for pointlessly interacting with doors, the frequent humour and wit of the text (like the umbrella line and Dinosaur Park signs), your in-world justification for having Juni walk for so long, and how you ultimately handled the run power-up. The fact that the title/level subverts the 'find Juni's cat' trope that is used in so many Knytt Stories levels is also excellent; intentional?

A criticism of sorts: I find it hard to play the game and keep track of the words at the same time, or even alternately. Thinking about it, I had similar issues when playing I Chased the Moon. It makes me wonder how effective it is using titles in KS+ for more complicated narrative purposes...

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 19:41:22 »
A criticism of sorts: I find it hard to play the game and keep track of the words at the same time, or even alternately. Thinking about it, I had similar issues when playing I Chased the Moon. It makes me wonder how effective it is using titles in KS+ for more complicated narrative purposes...
Good point. It is difficult to read something when you're avoiding danger or gliding on an umbrella. Game design tip: if you want the player to see something, then make sure they are not distracted.

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 13:08:18 »
Very nice and polished level. It suggests a distinct authorial style that has me looking forward to The Journey Home (or any future levels from you). In particular I liked your attention to detail putting in messages for pointlessly interacting with doors, the frequent humour and wit of the text (like the umbrella line and Dinosaur Park signs), your in-world justification for having Juni walk for so long, and how you ultimately handled the run power-up. The fact that the title/level subverts the 'find Juni's cat' trope that is used in so many Knytt Stories levels is also excellent; intentional?

Thank you! I did a playback of my level, and you know what? It IS kind of hard to focus on the words if Juni's too busy doing jumps and umbrella tricks. I suppose maybe it would be better if Juni's just running/walking without distractions, just like Egomassive said. I suppose less complicated platforms and screens with solid ground would be more effective so the player can focus on the narrative.

Thank you for your output, you guys.  Will keep them in mind for future levels. C)

Also, yes, the "missing cat" trope it was kind of intentional on my part, except, well, the cat has gone and simply cannot be found again. I've always been in love with cat bank object/animation (not sure what to call it, since it's not really a CO if it's part of the base knytt game, is it?) and there were so many missing cat levels and I wanted to make another level about a "missing" cat without finding the cat as the end goal. 

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 01:28:50 »
Sad little level.  :sad:

I did not find the words/titles hard to read... when I play Knytt stories "mechanically," I'm basically on auto-pilot. I often talk on the phone while playing a challenge level, for instance, although I always give a story level like this my full attention.

Well done. Looking forward to more.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 20:02:48 »
It was really nice, little story man  :)

edit: It wasn't a nice story. It was sad. I mean, the level is nicely done. And sorry for calling You a man. I won't ever do that again, I promise  :^^:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 17:12:53 by ixMarcel »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 14:05:38 »
It was really nice, little story man  :)

You do realise adding that , makes this nice statement an insult, don't you? Though I also assume it was totally unintentional. But I think the comma should be removed, and probably an "a" should be added between was and really. :P
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 14:24:40 »
You do realise adding that , makes this nice statement an insult, don't you?

I'm surprised you'd point that out and not that Eris might not appreciate being called "man", though I assume that was also unintentional (or ixMarcel is a fan of radical gender-neutral slang). Personally, I wouldn't mind being addressed as "little story man".

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 16:13:11 »
True. Then again some people like being insulted. :P And also, the comma should be behind the word story too.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 16:56:22 »
看起来这将是最适合我从不使用英语再并写上这个论坛

很遗憾所有的侮辱

[mod]Translation: Looks like it's going to be most suitable for use English and wrote again on this forum I never regret all the insults[/mod]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 16:58:59 by LPChip »