[Normal/Very Hard][Challange] Throwback

• 14 Replies

Offline Klämrisk

• I can't even recall why I have this duck anymore..
    • View Profile
[Normal/Very Hard][Challange] Throwback
« on: December 30, 2013, 19:00:59 »
Juni is bored.

She dreams of adventure.

One day she decides to do something about this.

-

"Throwback" is a level made with some custom graphics, all custom music and no custom items or such as a throwback to the older KS levels me and many others used to, and sometimes do, make. Basically what I'm saying is: I'm a hipster, I'm old school and I'm super cool....yeah...

But whatever, *I* think it turned out rather well. I recommend playing this on Very Hard difficulty if you like torturing yourself.

Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2ame5saxy9e4v9v/klamrisk%20-%20ThrowbackTheGame.knytt.knytt.bin
New version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9hsmrgb9ifs3zxg/klamrisk_-_ThrowbackTheGamev2.knytt.knytt.bin

Share and enjoy
//Klämrisk
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:14:26 by Klämrisk »
Audial experimentations (Read: demos)
Crazy metal band I sing and play bass/electric guitar in

"Throwback" - a KS level in progress
I seem to recall starting a shift-animation frenzy and increased fascination in Juni's transparent body.

Offline juhj

• This happens when I can't finish a level D:
    • View Profile
Re: [Normal/Very Hard][Challange] Throwback
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:37:34 »
I really enjoyed testing the beta, and the finished version is even better. Great level.  :hiddenstar:
image removed, became invalid
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 07:16:51 »
Wow, this certainly is a throwback. I can't say I'm a big fan of going so long without the run power-up, the frustrating blind screen-to-screen jumps, or the occasional layer 3 green sloping tiles (are they erroneous?). The visuals are frequently amazing enough for me to forgive these traits for now, though, but we'll see how far I get!

Congrats on creating something with so much nostalgic appeal.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 23:45:34 »
Yay update.

I'm gonna play the final (?) version soon (And Starwalk). Do you (Klämrisk) want a list of any bugs I might find in this version? Do you want me to take notes about the level like I did with earlier versions?

I've been kinda inactive on the forums lately.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:44:43 »
I jumped across a pit of water after entering a cave early on and died for no readily apparent reason. I tried about 5 times more, still couldn't see what was killing me and couldn't see any other route. Since I didn't have the run power-up I didn't want to explore for an alternative that might not have existed anyway so I gave up. If a level requires you to check the editor to progress within the first 5 minutes then I don't see the point.

I loved 'Land of Legends' back in the day so I might have another go on the easier setting. Still, disappointed by invisible death.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:49:01 by Talps »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 16:09:20 »
That's a spike there, very hard one. Very Hard mode can only be played with a KS mod (KS Ex or KS+), saving with Space+Down cheat. Klämrisk didn't take care about savepoints on Very Hard.

I'm stuck at x985y989. Is it really doable?
The Normal difficulty ends with broken room at x994y978.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 17:31:51 by GrayFace »

Offline Klämrisk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 19:28:24 »
So, there. Gah. Öööh. Back on the forums again. Inevitably someone found some bugs. Those things happen. No worries. I'll fix them eventually. This level was too big of a project for me to undertake; this explaining my slow response. But I'll fix the bugs, give it a few days.

And to those of you that liked it - thanks.  :)

I seem to recall starting a shift-animation frenzy and increased fascination in Juni's transparent body.

Offline Klämrisk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 12:13:48 »
So... I finally managed to look through the entire level again, and I came to three conclusions:

1. I will never do a level of this size again.  :(

2. Everything seems to be in order. I've tried to break it at the suggested points and failed. If there's any errors left now; feel free to virtually Gibbs-slap me.  :^^:

3. I actually found an error on a certain screen that thankfully no-one else had found/complained about yet. *phew*  :P

Anyways; new version here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9hsmrgb9ifs3zxg/klamrisk_-_ThrowbackTheGamev2.knytt.knytt.bin

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 16:33:16 »
Is VERY HARD supposed to be playable in normal KS, or does it require the "cheat" described above? Because I'm seeing the same thing Talps saw... a big impassable spike in the first cave. Going to replay on NORMAL.

Offline drwright

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 22:00:36 »
I cannot advance anywhere after getting the high jump and eye...

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 17:41:33 »
Normal mode was so boring I deleted the level. After getting the High Jump, I just kept wandering around empty screens, SLOWLY, until finally finding the Eye. Then I realized I had to go all the way back. I would have appreciated more saves and/or the Run module. I wouldn't say it was challenging at all, but definitely unfair and unforgiving. Several times I would miss an off-screen platform jump, then be reset 4-5 screens and have to slowly mosey back to the part I died on, only now knowing where to jump.

I've reinstalled it, and I'm playing it on Very Hard and I'm about to cheat and give myself the Run module. I'll let you know what I think after that.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 01:46:39 »
..and I think I broke it. Just goes to show why cheating is bad.  :oops:

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 11:19:05 »
Spoiler: Now I had both keys (click to show/hide)

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 12:12:10 »
The second jump in x1003y1001 is too hard. It's very close to lunatic.

It's probably going to take a very long time for me to be motivated enough to get very far in this level...