Touchable Custom Object?

• 5 Replies
Touchable Custom Object?
« on: August 17, 2014, 20:00:06 »
Hi

I have small question about custom objects.

1. Can I do Custom Object which will be: Touchable? (without use Shifts)

2. Can I use banks 20-254 for custom objects, or not?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 20:05:20 by mpiwowskiKF »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
Re: Touchable Custom Object?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 20:45:15 »
For touchable Custom Objects, not on the default Knytt Stories Level Editor. You can use a Knytt Stories mod that supports that, like egomassi'ves KS+ or GrayFace's KS Ex. I think both of them support solid custom objects. KS+ is easier to use but KS Ex is more powerful, unless something has changed recently.

As for the second question, I'm not sure.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 21:27:11 »
2. Can I use banks 20-254 for custom objects, or not?

I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure you can't, since you can't specify a Bank number in the World.ini Custom Object sections.

If you need to use the other Banks because you want to make a lot of Custom Objects, I'll mention that - in case you didn't know - the maximum number of Custom Objects is 255, not 48 like the Editor leads to believe; if you need even more than 255, then I suppose there's no way with the standard KS (I don't know if any mods allow for more though).
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 00:29:27 »
Yes, I'm using the Knytt Stories Plus. I prefer this version, but I can't find where must be set "Custom object: Touchable". Any suggestions?

As for banks. Yes, I need more than 255. It will be my new project, very huge.

But We will see, If have no this option, I will make 3 parts of my level. :P

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 00:41:23 »
Ego deliberately avoided putting touchable custom objects into KS+ as he felt they deviated too much from the feel of the original game (he ardently avoided putting in moving platforms). KS Ex allows it but requires more programming ability, and isn't compatible with KS+.

With KS+, I've had no trouble using COs beyond number 20.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 18:23:17 »
The thing with COs is that you can't have pixel perfect collision. So, I didn't include it in KS+. You can fake it by overriding the graphics of a standard object with the shape and behavior you're looking for. If you describe what you are trying to achieve we may be able to come up with a solution for you.

KS Ex took an entirely different approach to COs. You can have touchable and programmable COs. There is a great example of this in Run the Gauntlet.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 18:25:22 by egomassive »