• 9 Replies

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
[Misc/Puzzle/Simulation] flOw
« on: April 20, 2009, 14:43:09 »
Type:
Flash, browser-based (also downloadable) Evolution Simulation

Description:
In flOw, You control an organism (not single-celled, but pretty low on the evolution chain) and you simnply move it around so that it's 'mouth' or target area swallows smaller organisms, or small parts of larger organisms (which pose the biggest threat to you).

You can go 'up' or 'down' evolution levels by swallowing special blue or red target organisms. You can always see what's ahead of you, as each level shows the next evolution level below it in fancy blurred-semi-transparent-o-vision. The further you progress, the more your organism evolves, and you can even partially control which body parts get evolved.

Once you've completed the evolution of the first type of organism, you return to the top evolution level with a different organism and must do the same thing again. This was actually made downloadable for the Playstation 3, but the online / downloadable version is much the same, if a bit slimmed down.

A Note on the Different Versions:
The PS3 version looks much prettier! Screenshots below are from the PC version, and one from the PS3 version to show the difference. Don't let that sway you, give it a try. It's addictive and soon gets pretty tricky. Have a look at the Official site for the PS3 (below) to see what the 'real' version is all about.

Spoiler: Screenshots: (click to show/hide)

Download:
Play directly on this page.
ThatGameCompany Official flOw site on this page.
Official site on this page.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 14:45:18 by utherdoul »

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: [Misc/Puzzle/Simulation] flOw
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 15:17:05 »
they make pretty, thoughtful games. :)
this one, though, gets kinda repetitive after relatively few playthroughs, I think. Also it turns out that evolving as much as possible isn't always the best strategy here.
But on the other hand, the game, as far as I understood, is built around a concept of allowing the player to play at their very own pace, which I suppose is achieved. So basically, as long as you are mostly looking for a general "soothing", easy-going way to spend your time, this game is a great one. And it's so pretty! X)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Soron

• :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 15:26:40 »
Good game, good graphics, yay ,_,
flOw ,O,

Yaaaah!!

▲
▲ ▲

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 16:47:46 »
I really like this game, but it's too repetitive to be worth playing too many times. It's really frustrating that to get the second organism thing, you have to beat the game with the first one.

The gameplay ideas are neat, though, while they last, and the graphics and sound are excellent.
good bye

Offline Soron

• :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 18:49:13 »
Well actually if you play the ps3 version that of which is awesome you're going to see some great levels.

Yaaaah!!

▲
▲ ▲

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 05:58:50 »
Did you also know that it is also on the psp? I've got it. its like the ps3 version but levels are a bit shorter. But it doesnt matter the graphics are nice and peacecfull  :) Its one of my favourite games on PSP

Its worth it!

Offline Teper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:23:34 »
That's a wonderful game. It's too bad you can't save on the flash version

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 11:30:55 »
I played flOw when the PC version came out; it was a nice, soothing experience. Like Paula, I too found that evolving to the max is actually a disadvantage against the later enemies.

The original game's music and graphics are nice, but I find the more 3D-ish looks on the PS3 actually less appealing. On that last screenshot for example, the creature's body looks like it's a cross between pimples and transparent elevator buttons.  X-P

A while ago I made some simple animated avatars from flOw elements: food particles, the two portals, even some of the bosses. I've uploaded a couple of those on the Game Gallery. Check it out if want to take a quick look at how the game looks like in motion. :)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 03:34:26 »
One thing I have to say about this game: OMNOMNOM! :crazy: Seriously, I can't help but say, OMNOMNOM! when I eat a big organism. :P
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 19:01:47 »
It is a great concept, indeed. I'd like o try the PS3 version, but that won't probably happen. xD