Inspirational landscapes / life imitating art (or at least 2D platform layouts)

• 3 Replies

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
I came across this post: http://www.boredpanda.org/30-breathtaking-images-will-force-you-to-move-to-china/ * and many of the photos immediately reminded me of KS landscapes, and/or looked like RL versions of common design elements in KS levels. I've attached a few of the most KS-ish images for posterity / people who can't view BoredPanda for whatever reason.

* Viewing images will most likely not force anyone to take up residence in another country against their will.

Image credits:
"Red Rock Valley at Yuntaishan" by Wiwat Navakanon
"Zhang Jia Jie" by Jumrus Leartcharoenyong
"Photographer in the Cave" by Woosra Kim
"Autumn in Wuyuan" by Raymond Peng

Honestly, some of these make me want to just re-create the whole landscape with gradients, tilesets & COs! And even the ones that wouldn't necessarily translate directly into KS very well could still serve as inspiration for getting a similar feel in a level.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Looks pretty neat! I wonder if I could convince some of these guys to let me use these photos for custom gradients...  X)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
@the Jack: Funny. I saw the screens before reading the text, and my first thought was: Wow, these are really good looking tilesets.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
@ Healy: Well, it doesn't hurt to ask, and the worst they can do is say no, right? I think there are contact links for at least some of the photographers in the article... so go for it!

@ LPChip: LOLOLOLOL  XD IKR?

Actually, it's eggplant.