Need beta testers for my game Circular (Web/Android)

• 40 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Need your funky music for a rhythm game! (Game demo inside)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 19:26:53 »
Looping in this song really is easy. In fact, the total song length is currently: 3:12 and then it naturally loops. You do not have to restart the game at that time either, you can just continue and restart at any time you wish.

Here is what I have so far. I have to check things like mixing/mastering and errors that might not be like I want it, so it may be that I make small changes.

Also if you feel something is not right, let me know. At least that gives you a preview and something to work with.

I didn't know what file extension you need so I assumed .mp3. I can also give you an .ogg if you need that.

Link: http://mftp.lp1.nl/Straight%20Forward.flac.mp3 (older version)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 23:13:35 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 20:11:22 »
Awesome!
I'm not really familiar with the terms people usually use for describing music, especially in English, but at first it seemed like a bit too dark for the kind of game I had in mind, but after a few seconds I could see it fitting perfectly in the game, especially if I change the color palette up for each track. Gave me the idea to use different themes for each level, like caves, underwater, space, etc.
I'd love to start trying to make a level around this right away, but maybe I should try to polish the core game a bit and finish the level I have now. That should give you enough time if you feel like changing anything in this one :)
Thank you for this, now I can gloat about someone making awesome music for a game I'm making :P

By the way, this is exactly 120 bpm, right? Need to get this right so the game stays in sync.

EDIT: and about formats, I need both OGG and M4A to be sure it plays across all browsers if I'm to make this a browser game as well, but OGG is fine for now.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 20:15:20 by Raicuparta »

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 20:34:15 »
Oh right... Its not exactly 120 BPM. But next time I'll export the song, I'll use modern tempo syncing so it will become 120bpm.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 23:13:06 »
New version up. This time an .OGG using accurate tempo setting, so it is 120 BPM.

I made some small changes in the song with regards to the violin melody line later in the song. It prepares better for the looping of the song.

Also, I used a wave editor to make sure the song properly loops now which causes a small "crash cymbal" sound at the start of the song, but it actually works there.

Link: http://mftp.lp1.nl/Straight%20Forward.wav.ogg

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 00:12:10 »
Great, thank again!
Are you planning on making any more changes or can I start designing a level with it?

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 02:03:39 »
You can definitely start designing a level with it. If I make changes, they'll be minor.

I might also look into making a 2nd song for when you hit an obstacle, and possibly also for when you start up the game but haven't yet played. :) It won't have a 4/4 drumbeat but more ambient.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 03:48:08 »
You can definitely start designing a level with it. If I make changes, they'll be minor.

I might also look into making a 2nd song for when you hit an obstacle, and possibly also for when you start up the game but haven't yet played. :) It won't have a 4/4 drumbeat but more ambient.
Really cool of you to do these things without even having to ask for them, you must really love doing it, thank you so much :) Those would actually be really useful, I'm making a menu right now.

The attached image is the menu I'm trying to make, but I'm not really sure how to pull off the rotating level selector with the tools I'm using...

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 22:10:39 »
I made a second song. This song can also be played looped and is about 1 minute long.

Its a: game over/hiscore/main menu song and can thus be played when you die or when you first launch the game. (I made it with that in mind.)

Link: http://mftp.lp1.nl/Impact%20Restored.wav.ogg

I recommend controlling the music as follows.

- Both songs obviously should loop to the start when they reach the end of the song without any kind of gap.
- At game launch, "Impact Restored" starts playing at normal volume. When the user starts the game, this song is faded out before the game begins.
- When a level is played, "Straight Forward" starts playing at normal volume. When the user hits an object and the game ends, the song "Impact Restored" is played as soon as possible, no fade. The game visuals can then use whatever transition is necessary. The song "Impact Restored" starts with an explosion kind of sound.

Let me know what you think. :)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 07:35:23 »
As always, amazing.
Been playing with it for some time now, trying to set it as you suggested and tweaking it as much as possible.
Although there's something that might not fit your vision here: a few iterations ago I added sound effects to the game. For instance, when the ship explodes there's now an explosion sound, so the "explosion" part of your new music isn't really audible. But I'm still not really sure if I wanna use sound effects in this game, so I'd like to think how you feel about having them over your compositions.
As soon as possible I'll upload a video to show how it is being used currently.

EDIT:
Here it is:
http://youtu.be/9nto6HcetL8
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:57:52 by Raicuparta »

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 09:00:19 »
I'll check out the video when I'm at home.

As for adding sound effects, its your game. I just make the music. It isn't necessary, but if it works, it works. I'll listen and watch the video later and give a better response. :P

Glad you like the music. :)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 17:20:31 »
The music works as good as I expected. The sound effects are okay and don't mess with the song. I'd say, keep it as it is. :) I may or may not bring an update for the music. If I do it'll mainly be to improve the sound quality, but it seems pretty top notch already. :) Also matters how much time I can find to work on that, as audio engineering is not something I can do for a short moment. I need a bit longer to properly tweak things.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 21:52:21 »
I'm absolutely pants at rhythm games, so this project is nowhere near my alley... but I checked out the WIP video, and the music, and I just had to tell you both, your work so far looks & sounds awesome! I look forward to watching Let's-Plays of people with better reflexes than mine racking up high scores to the funky beats.  :D

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 23:01:48 »
Thanks the Jack. Although this is entitled as rhythm game, I would say it isn't. The game acts on the music, but you don't die or lose points for missing the rhythm.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 00:29:06 »
I've seen other games being called rhythm games where the player's actions aren't directly related to the rhythm, like bit.trip beat, Super Hexagon, Beat Hazard or even Audiosurf. But maybe that's never what a "rhythm game" was supposed to be.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 10:54:13 »
Bit.trip beat actually is a rhythm game. The action takes place at each beat. If you are not in the right spot, game over. Super hexagon definitely is not a rhythm game. Beat Hazard isn't a rhythm game either and neither is audiosurf.

These games cleverly do something with music, but that doesn't automatically make them a rhythm game. The idea of a rhythm game, is that the music and game work together in such that the music warns the player, meaning that if the music was disabled the game would become much harder.

A good example would be Nifflas' Avoid the evil space eel. The easy and hard modes are the same, with exception of the music.

But I guess it is in human nature to tell other people things are as such even though they do not fully understand the concept and as such spread the wrong info. I often have seen people call music a certain style while it really wasn't, but they just didn't know which style it was. Techno is a good example. That style has been really taken out of contest because people just started to call any dance music with a strong electro vibe techno while it used to be much more refined. I've also seen classical music being mistaken for New Age.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythm_game

MODPlug Central Forum