Need beta testers for my game Circular (Web/Android)

• 40 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
Need beta testers for my game Circular (Web/Android)
« on: July 04, 2014, 11:36:47 »

Update: The Android beta version for Circular is available now. If you wanna help me test this game, join this Google+ community and then follow the instructions on this page. If you don't like Google+, which is understandable, and want the .apk, send me a PM.

Play the Web version of Circular here here. Use mouse left click, nothing else (optimized for touch screens).

Original thread:
Quote from: Need your funky music for a rhythm game! (Game demo inside)
Here is a very early version of the game:
--original link removed--

Click the screen or use Spacebar, you'll figure out the rest.
Every 30 seconds it will randomly choose a way to make it a bit more challenging (still only 3 of these variations). 30 seconds may be a bit too much.

Anyway, the music being used here is from incompetech.com and it is just perfect for this game. I was wondering if any of the talented musicians over here would be interested in collaborating with me on this game, making similar music or providing some that you may already have done that fit the game. Always with proper credit, of course.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 14:57:49 by Raicuparta »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Need your funky music for a rhythm game! (Game demo inside)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 12:19:23 »
I'll check it out tonight. If the music style is up my alley I'd like to help you. :) Remind me if you don't hear from me early next week.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 19:26:24 »
Just checked it, but I don't get the game. I am unable to not die. Also in Internet Explorer the game goes much faster than in Opera, and the music is rather distracting as it is not in sync while the objects seem to suggest it. What am I doing wrong?

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 12:13:05 »
Just checked it, but I don't get the game. I am unable to not die. Also in Internet Explorer the game goes much faster than in Opera, and the music is rather distracting as it is not in sync while the objects seem to suggest it. What am I doing wrong?

The timing is completely off in Firefox too, Chrome is the only browser it seems to be functioning in.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 14:30:13 »
Also, sometimes the music starts waay late, or not at all, and the counter just keeps counting. I can die, and technically the game thinks I'm not. Changes the visuals which are way too strong btw. Seems you haven't tested this thoroughly. I did start composing music for this though, but I do hope you will make it so the game runs fine in other browsers too so I can actually enjoy it myself. (no, I'm not going to install chrome just for this game)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 23:36:04 »
I should have been more clear, the link in the thread is for the very latest version I made at any point, which is why it barely works. I wasn't aware it wasn't in synch in other browsers. This will be a mobile game, so the browser thing is only a problem for test builds.
I'm very excited to hear LPChip is on board, can't wait to hear something :O

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 21:42:06 »
At the time of the last post I was in a trip with a few friends so I had to keep it short, was posting from a phone.
What you guys tested is barely even a game, it's just the concept for it, I just wanted you to get what kind of game it is and what kind of music would fit there. That idea fails when the game isn't synced properly with the music, which is something I'm having some trouble with.
So please don't let these issues keep you from considering collaborating, if you need to I can make a video of the game working properly :)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 05:37:38 »
This game is vaguely similar to your concept, might provide some inspiration?

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 14:13:17 »
You mean rhythm heaven in general or just that particular mini game? Not really seeing the similarities, but rhythm heaven's mini games have a lot of variety so there's probably one of two games that are similar to my concept.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 21:43:09 »
That one in particular. The similarity is in the shift between two states, which is triggered by holding down a button (or stylus). Both that game and yours use a low-pass filter style effect for one of the states, right?

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 15:22:37 »
That one in particular. The similarity is in the shift between two states, which is triggered by holding down a button (or stylus). Both that game and yours use a low-pass filter style effect for one of the states, right?
Oh, you're right, couldn't quite hear it at the time (was on mobile with low volume).

I uploaded an .exe version of the game, would be cool if you guys could test if at least this version plays consistently and in synch with the music (it's never actually perfectly in sync but at least the visuals have the same tempo as the music). You can download it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8262744/win32.zip
Just extract everything and run circular.exe.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 19:49:10 »
How long should the music be? and should it loop?

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 16:07:44 »
How long should the music be? and should it loop?
Not sure how I missed this post, sorry for the delay.
The music I have in the game right now is 2 minutes and 40 seconds long, and it already feels a bit too long, so anything below that is fine. Also, it is easier for me to make levels from the music if the beats are mostly constant, because I have to manually adjust the rhythm to the music.
I decided to make the game less random and make it actually follow the music. For instance, in faster parts of the music there will be more bombs to avoid, and in some transitions the game will rotate. I will make a video showing how this works in case you feel like making the music around this, but obviously you're free to make it as you feel and I'll work around that.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, no it doesn't have to loop.

EDIT2: Here is the video. At the 30th beat (17 seconds in) you can see the transition in the music that leads to the game rotating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jr2JtJieg
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 16:52:37 by Raicuparta »

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 18:33:49 »
What I have now is a tune that has a constant 4/4 beat going on. If the beat is not playing at that time, something else is at the 4/4 beat. I made sure because I already noticed this in your preview game. So only tune it so it matches the beat and you're set.

I currently have 2:40 of music (yes, its a coincident) but there is a lot of variety, so it shouldn't matter for the length. It doesn't end right now, but I'll make it loop so you can keep using it. How does that sound?

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 18:52:20 »
Sounds perfect! I said it didn't have to loop because the one I have now doesn't, and I suspect it might be harder to make it sound good while looping (especially when starting the level), but if it loops that would make it possible to finish the level but continue playing for the high score, like in Super Hexagon, which would be pretty cool.