[Challenge/Puzzle] Unnamed

• 11 Replies

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
[Challenge/Puzzle] Unnamed
« on: July 02, 2014, 17:06:30 »
Hello!

Some of you may remember me, most don't. I used to be an active user long time ago, with countless comebacks to KS. I've always wanted to create a high quality, custom-graphics level, but lost my interest every single time. Once again I've recalled about KS and this forum, so - I've once again naively started to make the level. I hope that this time I will be determined enough to pull it off.

Anyways, after this boring introduction. If you've played the Neverhood you will be familiar with the concept of "teleportation" into different areas, which was my main inspiration. The whole game world will be divided into separate areas, which can not be accesed otherwise than by teleporters. Each area will use different tilesets, gradients and so on. I would love to have custom music in my level, but I would probably need help with that, as I don't know where to look for good, free games music. Completing the level will involve traveling through different areas, solving puzzles and completing tasks - what you have done in one area will change different areas, so you will unlock paths, which have been blocked before - you get the idea.

By this time I've finished one tileset, and already have ideas for some puzzles and few more tilesets. I do not have tablet, so every pixel-work is made with mouse and zoom, which makes working kind of slow.

I've attached screen of how will the starting area look like - I've wanted to achieve feeling of mix between technology and nature. I think that you won't have any problems with telling which Nifflas' tileset was my inspiration :) Let me know what do you think about idea and tileset.

Have a very good day, yours
RunMan

BTW it seems that after all this time I hold some records in arcade - don't you even try guys? 8)

Re: [Challenge/Puzzle] Unnamed
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 18:02:07 »
I quite like that screenshot. It reminds me a bit of some parts from I Dreamed of the Sky, by Talps.

The teleporter idea reminds me of The Dying Core, by egomassive. Teleporting between different regions can result in abrupt changes, through, which can break immersion - something to watch out for.

I'm looking forward to playing your level! :)

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 15:14:28 »
Working on next tileset is currently stopped, I'm designing the starting area - I don't want it to be the biggest in whole level, so I would say it's ~1/3 finished.
Difficulty level will be probably Hard, but I've got an unstoppable urge to design hardcore triangle-jumping challenges, so some part of level may be very hard to some people (I've already had to redesign 3 screens, as I've decided that jumps are way too hard :()
Screen count: 39

I hope that attached screenshots will cause a little more traffic in this topic. Screen from 1st post was just a preview of tileset, those are actual level screens. Feel free to post any questions or comments.
Have a good evening, and remember to keep your fingers crossed for Netherlands :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 15:18:08 by RunMan »

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 18:24:59 »
This looks very cool, especially that last screenshot.

Hope you pull it off; sounds like this could be a great level.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 23:46:13 »
These new screenshots look promising. Can't wait for it.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 06:05:50 »
The first area and its tileset look good. The concept sounds like it will make for interesting game play.

I suggest Newgrounds for music hunting. They have an audio portal where most contributors intend their music to be used for games.

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 23:22:00 »
Well, I've decided to keep posting when I make any progress, so I would not lost motivation, and who knows, maybe some people are interested in news about this level.

Anyways, I was taking a break from designing level in order to create new tileset, which is already 4th custom one already created! Again - maybe someone will remember it, as I've already created something very similar, there's even topic for that tileset, but unfortunately hosting services already deleted that file. It's called Redwood Forest and, surprisingly it's forest, a red one if someone is being precise. Knytt houses are new idea, it needed few COs to create, but I think effect rewards it. Whilst previous, bluish area is rather uninhabited (except for few knytts observing Juni from their glass laboratories), this one will be much more lifeful.

Attached screen was made for preview only, and tileset is still in its early development, just wanted to show you general feel of new area (this new area would be accessed directly from starting one, but it will involve some climbing skills in order to achieve that. Later in the game there will be an easier access available).

Bragging stats:
Already made:
  • 4 custom tilesets
  • 4 custom gradients
  • 14 custom COs (2 animated)
  • 43 screens

Sleep thight, yours
RunMan

Offline juhj

• This happens when I can't finish a level D:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 08:08:54 »
It looks amazing! Well done! It looks promising. I would love to play this level when it is released.  :D
image removed, became invalid
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 01:23:12 »
This does look like a great level -- I really like what you seem to be doing with color-themes, and I can already tell the COs are going to really enhance your lovely tilesets. Can you give us a progress update (even if it's that you're presently stuck / haven't made any progress since the last update)?

I especially like the red trees in the second tileset. Can't wait to see more!

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 10:11:11 »
I haven't been much at home lately, so obviously work retarted significantly. Thanks for keeping posting, that gives me motivation to keep on going. Since my last post I've been working mostly on screens, some of them were rebuilt, some repaired, few are new.

Current stats:
  • 5 custom tilesets
  • 5 custom gradients
  • 15 custom COs (3 animated)
  • 96 screens

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 22:27:19 »
This sounds good! Using passable walls as scenery, as in the tunnel in the last screenshot, seems to be a little-used style; under-used, in my opinion. I eagerly await the finished level.
I've never meta pun I didn't like.

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 12:29:18 »
I've finished those areas of starting world which will be accessable from the beginning of the level. Screen count: 119 :) Now it's time to develop new tilesets and build new worlds. Sadly, developing the level is kinda slow, which may result in delaying release date to 2015, as my summer vacation ends in September.
Few teaser screens attached.

Have a very great day, yours
RunMan