[Challenge] [Normal] The Journey Home

• 7 Replies
[Challenge] [Normal] The Journey Home
« on: July 01, 2014, 06:30:32 »
Hi! I've been working for a long time on a level - although it has been painfully slow, to be honest - and I just want to share some screenshots. There aren't a lot of screens yet, but I've been able to work on getting inside some of the houses.  :^^:

"The Journey Home"

Plot: A small village finds a girl in the forest, unconscious. They take her in and when she wakes up, she barely remembers anything. This is her journey home.

Also, a shoutout to Imaddo, Elder, Smashy and Salmoneous who made the tilesets you can see in the screenshots.  They're all awesome. Cheers! :juni:

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: [Challenge] [Normal] The Journey Home
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:25:30 »
This looks adorable! That last screenshot in particular has similar vibe to Healy's levels, which I always appreciate. The lava area in the second screenshot looks gorgeous too. I look forward to its release, whenever that may be!

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 10:01:14 »
This looks really cool, like it could be a lot of fun. I'd love to play it when it's done. I really like the lava screen; I think you've made good use of all the tilesets.

My one criticism would be that in the first screenshot, the daytime tileset clashes a little too much with the night sky.

But all in all looks good. Story sounds fun, too.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 17:21:10 »
Are you still working on this?  Because this sounds like just the kind of level I'd like to play to get my KS gears oiled up again.  :P
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:15:35 »
I am, I am! Just... really, really slow. Life has caught up with me, LOL. Nonetheless, I work on it whenever I can.  :)

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:03:33 »
Good to hear! What you've shown us so far is intriguing.  :D

FYI, though: Elder and Salmoneous are the same person. The same prodigious-tileset-creating, possibly-too-frequently-pseudonym-changing person. So he only needs to be credited once.

Actually, it's eggplant.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 22:19:42 »
This looks good! I particularly liked the third screenshot. Will the level include some kind of response to Juni dying when she jumps in? It seems like that should be possible, but I'm not sure how it could be done.

Also, the text used in the last screenshot is jarring. "I am" is almost never used in casual conversation by native speakers of English. It doesn't fit with the rest of the sentence; the knytt should use "I'm".
I've never meta pun I didn't like.

Offline rainulous

• I never picked up the key.
    • View Profile
    • Hartje Music
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 22:25:44 »
Ooooh this looks really good. I like the last screenshot, reminds me of... well, I'm not sure what it reminds me of but I like it.
Thanks for the stars, everyone!