Anyone remember this KS level?

• 9 Replies

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
Anyone remember this KS level?
« on: January 13, 2016, 23:02:25 »
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!

I remember playing an old KS level called "The Meaning of Life" or something. It was really weird, it had bossfights, it was really difficult, there was a character that was a boot that made weird noises, and the sound design really stuck in my mind as being clever. My mind may have merged two levels into one on this one, not sure. It had different endings where you would arrive at different interpretations of the meaning of life. Ring a bell anyone?

I can't find it.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
Re: Anyone remember this KS level?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 23:35:29 »
Oh, cool! That's it :)

Thanks!

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 00:09:47 »
Wasn't hard for me. That level is one of my favorites too.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 06:05:08 »
Before this thread I never realised Teenhmifnoeafgil was an anagram for The Meaning of Life! Of course, it's also an anagram for Effeminate Holing, along with about 100,000 other things.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 14:00:25 »
Yeah, most of the text in the game is displaced by some kinda rule/code. Really adds to the absurdist feeling of it.

Does anyone know where the music that plays in the first area is from? There are several music credits at the end of the game, including the author his/herself.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 14:40:12 »
Does anyone know where the music that plays in the first area is from? There are several music credits at the end of the game, including the author his/herself.

It's from La La Land 3. Play it here, or watch it here.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 17:19:05 »
Thanks!

Ok... that... was.... weird.

Honestly I think the music works better in the KS level. It perfectly conveys the mixture of childlike sadness and surreal awe one faces when contemplating things beyond our understanding, like a toddler in a run-down nursery staring at a neglected wall, not being able to walk out of the door.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 14:48:02 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Ufv4roxoI

So there's the music from La La Land 3. One thing I noticed, I think the author of the KS level has modified the song. In particular, it sounds like an emulation of VHS tape, which is quite popular since Boards of Canada popularized the lofi sound. There's less bass, and more analog grain and hiss, and it's more wobbly in terms of pitch, giving it a subtle fuzz.

Yay for lofi!

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 20:36:20 »
I actually didn't get why that level was so popular, lol. I found it boring and frustrating and I much preferred KG's other levels, especially Too Much Soda which was one of my all-time favourites. Btw Sendy when are you going to finally release that mega-level of yours that you've promised us for years but never finally released? ^^