Weird spam posts

• 3 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
Weird spam posts
« on: April 28, 2014, 13:18:02 »
So long ago that did not meet the standards of this site.
What's up with the weird cryptic posts that keep showing up lately? I think there was another user that made similar posts and it sort of feels like a spam bot but there's no ads or anything, I'm confused.

Even on other forums:
http://www.androidfans.com/forum/289-droid-4/62738-good.html

WHAT DOES IT MEAN??!!!

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Weird spam posts
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 17:21:00 »
What's up with the weird cryptic posts that keep showing up lately? I think there was another user that made similar posts and it sort of feels like a spam bot but there's no ads or anything, I'm confused.

Even on other forums:
http://www.androidfans.com/forum/289-droid-4/62738-good.html

WHAT DOES IT MEAN??!!!

Lately there have been several messages like this. They don't have spam links even in their profile, so I have no clue what they're about. It could be that they're trying to covertly increase post count for later spamming or something.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
Re: Weird spam posts
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:03:24 »
They could be 'testing the waters', i.e. checking for forums with lax human moderation, then focusing their spam effort on those. Should be no threat to a low-traffic forum like ours, especially when reported quickly. :)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Weird spam posts
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 11:03:01 »
It could also be a sloppy employee forgetting or simply not understanding the tool and the purpose. So they spam with text, but forgetting the marketing data. I've even seen people mass-spam with html but because html is not allowed, it showed up as text rather than the formatted stuff.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex