how do YOU Knytt Underground?

• 14 Replies

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
how do YOU Knytt Underground?
« on: December 25, 2012, 02:47:32 »
Hello! I was just wondering about different play styles for KU. Such a massive game is bound to have several methods of completion.
I'm trying to get a basic map of the entire area first, opening all secret rooms and doors, but leaving quests aside (as much as I can.)
Then I'm hoping I'll be able to be more efficient in quest solving.

What about you?
Have you been reckless with your crystals yet? Bartering around coins?
discuss :)

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
Re: how do YOU Knytt Underground?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 02:54:15 »
I'm exploring the entire map first, finding as many secrets as possible, collecting as many items as possible, and completing any quests I come across. I've only rang one bell so far but only because it was right in the area I was exploring. I haven't broken a crystal yet.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 04:10:32 »
Interesting! I went at it almost the opposite way. :)

I mentally divided the map into smaller segments and explored each, solving all of its quests and trying to find all of its secrets before moving on to the next segment. Rang bells when they were in the way.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 04:35:05 »
I just went opening every square in no particular order, checking for secret passages and completing some quests on the way. Actually, on my route I didn't see many quests for a while.
Another thing: I tend to go up and sideways first. Just had a discussion with Nifflas on IRC about these things, he said more people went down first.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 08:27:36 »
That's funny. I started by going up and to the right first. I explored that whole quarter of the map and then worked my way down. So I have roughly the entire right half of the map explored.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 09:15:10 »
I basically looked on the map for squares I hadn't been to and did every quest on the way. I went down and right, to up and right to down again, to left to up and all across the map really.

I didn't start with any of the bells until I had the full map visible. But I did go through the gates earlier, which made that I paid some guards with money instead of their requested items.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 09:45:12 »
I ran around randomly.  I mostly tried to explore the clockworks where you start Chapter 3, because I remember thinking "HEY, I WANNA GO THERE," and went from there.  I tried heading for a bell, but when I discovered there was a door charge I started going in a semi-spiral pattern.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 09:48:53 »

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 12:33:29 »
I've been a little reckless with my trading, actually. There are some valuable items that I could have kept, rather than receiving a simple "thank you," or a junk item. Hopefully those didn't screw me over :P

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 15:50:06 »

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 00:41:46 »
my play style was not of my own doing. I entered the disorder and when I found an exit bam, I was on the other side of the world, but from there I tried to find as many items as I could to be able to ring the bells. some bells I ran across I didn't have the right number of items.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 19:39:51 »
How do I Knytt Underground? Ineptly, mostly. I run around randomly, accepting every quest that's suggested to me... I've already forgotten about half of them. :D Should have taken notes...

There are some screens I just can't get the hang of. But that's all right. If I manage to explore, say, 90% of the map, I'll consider it my money's worth. :-)

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 20:21:01 »
How do I Knytt Underground? Ineptly, mostly. I run around randomly, accepting every quest that's suggested to me... I've already forgotten about half of them. :D Should have taken notes...

There are some screens I just can't get the hang of. But that's all right. If I manage to explore, say, 90% of the map, I'll consider it my money's worth. :-)

Actually, this is part of Nifflas' design philosophy. He made a few rooms a lot more difficult. You may come to them and consider, nah, I can't do this. You move on to other screens to find out that later in the game somehow you actually can do it because you get better at the controls.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 20:32:33 »

Actually, this is part of Nifflas' design philosophy. He made a few rooms a lot more difficult. You may come to them and consider, nah, I can't do this. You move on to other screens to find out that later in the game somehow you actually can do it because you get better at the controls.

I remember this from KS, yeah. Not sure about this time around, though - I *really* suck at controlling the bouncy ball... and, as I said in another thread: I've recently had it officially confirmed that my reflexes are practically non-existent. So even if I do learn, it may not be enough. Anyway - at the moment there's still so much map left to explore I don't particularly mind about missing out on a few corners.

Offline Wrenbot

• View Profile
    • Wikia wiki for all Nifflas' Games
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 21:36:09 »
For me, Knytt Underground is first and foremost a game of exploration.

I love the idea of a vast underworld teeming with peaceful life and history and the freedom to explore it. It's beautiful, serene and relaxing. The music works really great to enhance those feelings.

Even when you're alone in some of the darker recesses of that world you never feel lonely. It's akin to being lost in space; surrounded by stars and nebulae, surrounded by creation and bearing witness to all the majesty of it..

It can get eerie and creepy in some locations but it's never scary; there are no monsters and the only "enemies" are the dumb, faceless droids.

Sso, yeah, I like to just wander aimlessly and dislike the few things in the game that try to break that immersion. Although I gotta admit that during my first playthrough I was impatient to just see the "end" of the main story involving the six bells and accordingly learned my lesson. :crazy:
Check out the wiki at Nifflas.Wikia.com and help out! It needs entries and screenshots for characters, lore, secrets and easter eggs!