The Mushroom Engine

• 68 Replies

Offline Joho The Hobo

• Joho The Ex-Hobo
    • View Profile
Re: The Mushroom Engine
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 14:19:10 »
The fuzzy screen is you dying. Probably from falling too far, as that's what got me a lot before I read the instructions.

It does make sense though, in an odd way. falling too far while going back in time is the equivalent of jumping too high in normal play. Which is impossible. Ergo; death.

Also you can jump as high as you want, because that just counts as falling in forward-time. It's, uh... it's hard to get your head around (it was for me, at least).

Fun game C) . I loved the graphics, and the concept was cool, once I realized why i kept dying.

Offline farik

• let's make some $
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 21:02:54 »
finally got around to beating it, the end is great :)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 13:32:25 »
Why did this get moved to "Released Games" section?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 13:34:56 »
I did half the work on this, and got all the game mechanics to work and stay in sync, so I'd consider it a co-op project between Hempuli and me, but it's definitely enough me to be featured here :)

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 13:37:13 »
Woah! I never knew you worked on this project with Hempuli :D Good work ;)

Offline Hempuli

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 15:52:55 »
Woah! I never knew you worked on this project with Hempuli :D Good work ;)

I think I mentioned it in the first post.

*Gulp*

Ok, phew. I even bolded it.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 21:18:15 »
The fuzzy screen is you dying. Probably from falling too far, as that's what got me a lot before I read the instructions.

It does make sense though, in an odd way. falling too far while going back in time is the equivalent of jumping too high in normal play. Which is impossible. Ergo; death.

Also you can jump as high as you want, because that just counts as falling in forward-time. It's, uh... it's hard to get your head around (it was for me, at least).

Fun game C) . I loved the graphics, and the concept was cool, once I realized why i kept dying.
for those who does not understood, the game its played backwards, wich means that the fuzzy screen does not mean that you die, but means that you get "Paradox?d"for doing something that you could not do in the foward game, that counts like jumping higher than normal or falling in a pit that played forward you cant get up.  :/
more info in the Redame.

this is really cool  :)... if extremely difficult. reminds me a bit of braid. trying to get the editor to work, not sure how
Me too, but i dint played the game, i saw the trailer,it remind me to those bunnies going backwards  XD.

Also, it will good if you have to "revive" all the mushrooms.otherwise, how the mushroomsdissapear?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 23:40:30 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2009, 00:20:36 »
Also, it will good if you have to "revive" all the mushrooms.otherwise, how the mushroomsdissapear?
If you don't, they were never there.
grao!

Offline Firecat

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2009, 01:09:22 »
i mean WHY the mushrooms disappear, theres no much sense in vanishing mushrooms  <_<.

EDIT:I have a question, how i save in level editor?.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:23:41 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 03:26:57 »
Prehaps some other person or creature came along... um... before(?)hand and stomped the goombas which you don't revive.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 04:27:56 »
LOL!

...That is all. *downloads*

EDIT: wtf! D: Woah, that's weird. But I don't get it. X)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:51:37 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Hempuli

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 15:24:19 »
i mean WHY the mushrooms disappear, theres no much sense in vanishing mushrooms  <_<.

EDIT:I have a question, how i save in level editor?.

The instructions are in the editor. Press control+S to save.

As Kasran said (and if I got your question right), When you unjump on a mushroom, it becomes alive. Those mushrooms you didn't unkill could never have existed in the first place, since why would there be dead mushrooms around when you begin the level? :P

Firecat, good work for explaining it :) I guess this sorta game mechanic is quite difficult to understand at first.

4a

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 19:24:56 »
I liked it.
I only have two criticisms:
First, it's way too short. I know you can make your own stuff, but still. Way way too short.
Even the original Super Mario Bros. had four stages for each world.

Second, the levels should have more coins-to-get. Why would you go through these levels and only get 1-digit amounts of coins? When I played Super Mario Bros., I'd get as many coins as possible.

Offline farik

• let's make some $
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 20:02:46 »
the coins thing just makes it so you have to dodge everything, but i thought the same thing, "who the hell only gets 4 coins?" anyway, i still don't get how to load the editor up. :oops:

Offline Firecat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 23:21:49 »
the coins thing just makes it so you have to dodge everything, but i thought the same thing, "who the hell only gets 4 coins?" anyway, i still don't get how to load the editor up. :oops:
Suppousely in FW 4 are all the coins, but in this case "Who was the desinger that puts only 4 coins?  O_o

And to start the editor you have to select a level, but without press play,hold SHIFT+1 or 2 or 3 (Acording to the level to edit)

Click to put the selected tile

Q to select object
E to apply object
W A S D to move in the tileset
X to destroy object
Z and C to scroll
Ctrl + S to save
T to test