The Community Tileset Project

• 254 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: The Community Tileset Project
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 22:56:01 »
Two sleeping ones, happy and sad, and an awakened version of the happy one.  I decided to spend leave the awakened version of the sad one undone because I'm honestly not entirely sure about the eyes - part of me enjoys how horrifyingly disturbing they are, and the other part of me feels that I really ought to make them look a little more expressive, even if it only means widening the eyes by a pixel.

Well it certainly helps to add a little more utility to this tileset.  I like them.

On one final note, it seems this tileset has awakened in me the desire to create incredibly non-linear levels, as this is probably the most open-ended screen I've ever made in my life - and I had a lot of fun putting it together!  In fact, I enjoy this screen so much, I'll probably end up using it in an actual level!  In any case, that's enough text from me.

Well, be sure to look out for when this tileset is complete!  I'm glad this project is bringing more than just new tilesets into our community.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 01:14:19 »
I'm glad this topic was stickied. That will make it a lot easier to see the latest posts and the latest version of the tileset.

(P.S. Ego's crystal flowers are awesome but incredibly unruly to get a handle on.)
Nice work Ultigonio. It's amazing how well everyone's contributions are working together. The "flowers" are laid out just like the main square of the ground tiles; corners, sides, and a center; but to make it easier to use here is a designer's version (see attachment.) Edit with this one lining up the pink lines, then switch to the correct version to see the results.

Edit: Updated guide for finished tileset 1. I also added bright yellow lines to help place the inside corners for the background.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:14:31 by egomassive »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 03:19:53 »
The "flowers" are laid out just like the main square of the ground tiles; corners, sides, and a center; but to make it easier to use here is a designer's version (see attachment.) Edit with this one lining up the pink lines, then switch to the correct version to see the results.
Oh, very cool!  With the layout in mind, I'll easy be able to get to grips with those tiles - nice consideration for the user, there.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 12:42:52 »
I hope I figured it up well and I can contribute now.
I decided to add some missing edges to my too-much-tile-consuming-but-IMHO-quite-good-looking background stuff to make it look even better.   ;)
Those crystal faces are gorgeous, but I would like to see awakened sad one.
Edit: Removed tileset.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 14:44:01 by Polana »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 14:14:23 »
Here are my contributions, some complements to the hanging chains and a geometric crystal. :)

Edit: Attachment deleted.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:37:28 by sergiocornaga »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 16:14:56 »
Hmm, was confused for a minute because Polana removed her submission before I could see it.

Next time, can you guys please leave your attachment there until the (Latest) attachment on the fist post is updated?  Thanks.  :P

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 16:38:35 »
I'd like to contribute but I have no powers of translucency so I can't touch the completed thing without mucking it up.

Instead, I've made 8 tiles and attached them here. I hope I'm ok to ask someone to edit my tiles into the full set.

I've added the fourth face. What with those and the chains, I felt the set would work with some levers (to adjust the lengths of chains and activate/deactivate the faces) and some big, heavy doors for the levers to open and close!
Then I added a green, crystal version of object 14:1; I can imagine the sad faces opening their eyes when this creature is 'activated'. It ought to be slightly translucent like the creature, so if someone could sort that I'd be very grateful.

Maybe with my technical limitations I should have avoided the translucent tileset, but I thought it'd be fun to make a tiny level with this when it's done and I wanted to put in some utility for myself. Hope you can all forgive me!

Fubaka, this is an awesome idea; when it started, I thought it'd either go nowhere or the result would be pretty lame. Nice to be proven wrong :P. Well done. :hiddenstar:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 00:51:43 by Talps »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 18:43:00 »
Instead, I've made 8 tiles and attached them here. I hope I'm ok to ask someone to edit my tiles into the full set.
Hopefully it's okay if I handle that.  Here you go, Talps!  I had to check what the transparency value for Nifflas' slime is - turns out it's 70%!  With this knowledge, I have created a custom version of the actual slime object to match, also attached.  It was a little time-consuming (especially because apparently Color Replace doesn't work with black or its shades), but ended up being worth it, as I ended up coming up with a very cool level idea (besides, I'll definitely use this myself).  

Also, uh... I think we're gonna' need to reorganize a little when this thing's done. :P

Edit: Oh, one other thing - I'm not entirely sure I understand the use of Sergio's chains and Polana's corners (as my experience in the world of environmental tiling is lacking).  Would someone mind illustrating that to me?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 17:47:25 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 21:08:41 »
Edit: Oh, one other thing - I'm not entirely sure I understand the use of Sergio's chains and Polana's corners (as my experience in the world of environmental tiling is lacking).  Would someone mind illustrating that to me?

Sergio's additions seems to be more like "support beams" meant to be put under platforms. With the one shorter than a tile specifically meant to be put on the same tile as an slanted platform. The little corners are meant to be put on the inner corners of two background walls, with the apparently in midair ones meant to be put on the same tile as a "half height" background. (Altough it seems to be missing ones fo half-width tiles). Te attached image contains examples of all i just said in a hopefully less confusing manner
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 21:17:43 »
Hmm, was confused for a minute because Polana removed her submission before I could see it.

I'm sorry, I didn't wanted to break the rules, so I removed it after I find out there's new version.

The little corners are meant to be put on the inner corners of two background walls, with the apparently in midair ones meant to be put on the same tile as a "half height" background. (Although it seems to be missing ones for half-width tiles). The attached image contains examples of all i just said in a hopefully less confusing manner

You got it right. I hope I will have space to add these missing ones.

What are these things on left from Talps' pillars meant to be ?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 22:39:23 by Polana »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 01:26:23 »
What are these things on left from Talps' pillars meant to be ?
Those are switches. And, they're not supposed to be pillars. They're supposed to be doors which block horizontal paths.

Edit: 5 people have gone, so I'm taking another turn. :) I already had the crystal skull, but now that Ultigonio made his faces and Sergio made that really shiny crystal I'm not so sure it fits well anymore. If you guys don't like it I can take it out.

Edit: After some thought, I felt it would be bad if Polana's background theme didn't get finished. So, if it's alright I'd like to dramatically change my submission. I've removed my smaller versions of Sergio's crystal, and rearranged everything.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:12:51 by egomassive »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 04:43:00 »
Edit: After some thought, I felt it would be bad if Polana's background theme didn't get finished. So, if it's alright I'd like to dramatically change my submission. I've removed my smaller versions of Sergio's crystal, and rearranged everything.

Err, there's a problem here, Ego.  You seem to have paved over some of the previous background tile pieces (the small outer corner ones) and as such, have made 12 edits in this version.  Also, I just finished my addition wherein I rearranged everything also.  If you want, we can work something out to replace the crystals you made in my version with (some) of the background tiles you added.

Edit: I am a numpty, and didn't realize that those corners bunched up in Ego's tileset are those corners I thought he paved over.  I will make the appropriate alteration to my version now.

Also, here is my update.  I made the following changes:

• Rearranged a lot of things.
  • Recolored the platform tiles. (with permission from Caveflower and Ultigonio)
  • Added some bluer versions of the face statues.
  • Added my signature sign, (which I do in all the tilesets I work on) and repainted it to fit this tileset.
  • Added another Grass Tile and single block under it.
  • Made an alternate background tile, (specifically for caves) which I'd like the next contributor to make diagonal variants for, if I may ask. :P

We are almost done!  Just 2 more contributions to go.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:13:36 by Fubaka »

Love anything

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2014, 06:02:04 »
Hm.  Were I able to make the decision, I would probably say that I prefer Ego's rearrangement.  It takes into account the possible single-tile version of the transparent pillar, and also more cleanly arranges the pieces of Polana's monstrous creation.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 09:24:09 »
I've removed my smaller versions of Sergio's crystal, and rearranged everything.

Aw, I never got to see it. How many tiles did it take up?

Firecat is right about the intended use of my tiles, by the way.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 22:39:36 »
Aw, I never got to see it. How many tiles did it take up?
I think they were a resized version of the crystal to 1x2 tiles of size, and another one rotated 180 degrees

Anyways, i decided to make this version with the following changes:
  • Rearranged stuff in a way similar to ego's version.
  • I noticed the skull betewen ego's and fubaka's version were slighty different. I assumed the one in ego's was the intended version and modified the tileset accordingly.
  • I changed the opaque pillar coloration to look more like the smile thingies. and added a single tile transparent pillar
  • added diagonal edges to the darker bakground, as asked ;).
  • at this point i literally couldn't think of anything that wouldn't require the next poster to continue it, and that also i could actually draw. so i added some extra bridge edges.

And with that we are on the last 7 tiles, unless someone opposes to my changes.
Edit: Almost forgot to delete this one.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 22:47:34 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.