The Community Tileset Project

• 254 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: The Community Tileset Project
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2014, 15:10:24 »
Can we have the finished tilesets in the first post? Either attached or in spoilers in [img] tabs?

It's been there already, Talps. :P

So, with two tilesets in play, how exactly will this work?  Would I be able to make an addition to Tileset #2 AND Tileset #3 one after the other, or would I have to pick between one of them to add to when my turn came up?

Each tileset is its own running project.  Treat them separately.

I think we can contribute to both tilesets independently, because Fubaka added stuff into tileset I started and on the same day he started #3. 
So I decided I can contribute now.

Polana is correct.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2014, 19:23:02 »
Well then...

Here's my addition to Tileset #2 - I sorta' went two different directions with this one.  I paid more mind to the rocky-ness of Polana's original blocks - creating more face statues (including the One-Eyed Mustatue and his upside-down cousin Sunglasses.  I wanted to do something considerably different than I did with the previous face statues.  The pattern for their texture is absolutely absurd.  Next, I thought how cool it would be if you could smoothly transition between the two "grass" colors, so I created two transitional tiles for that.  Took me about an hour to do that the way I did it.  Then, I added three different kinds of grass in a style that I felt fit with what Fubaka built in his grass tiles - 2 pink grass tiles and 1 yellow grass tile (note that the pink grass is curvy and smooth while the yellow grass is sharp and angular).  I had a lot of fun with this one!  Hopefully you guys like them.  I wanted to add another pink grass tile, but I figured that'd be best left to someone else.  I'm thinking of creating a CO that shows how the grass grows.  Finally, to help on the actual main part of the tileset, I added in a single-tile block.  I considered adding blue grass tiles but then felt that I was not in the mood to make more transition tiles.

So, to recap:
  • Two statues.
  • Two transitional tiles for the grass.
  • Three external grass tiles.
  • A single-tile block.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 23:41:58 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2014, 23:08:18 »
New version for tileset 2:

• Added 4 grass edges. For use on inner corners
  • Also added a corner for joining the shades of the top and left ground blocks thogether
  • Added a few single tile grounds
Edit: Time to delete, i guess
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:46:33 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2014, 00:26:40 »
I want to see how this one develops a little more before I add anything dramatic, so I just added on to what was already there.

Edit: Now I've added to tileset 3. I thought the grass looked funny growing out of the bricks, so I made Mario inspired, grassy bricks.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:42:42 by egomassive »

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2014, 22:12:36 »
I changed my grass in #3 a little, so it will fit Egomassive's blocks better. I wouldn't count it as my contribution, because it didn't take more tiles.
Edit: Tileset removed.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 16:56:33 by Polana »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2014, 06:25:40 »
I changed my grass in #3 a little, so it will fit Egomassive's blocks better. I wouldn't count it as my contribution, because it didn't take more tiles.
Sorry, I didn't mean to upstage your grass. I started out with grass like your original grass and a simple black outline, but it felt flat compared to the bricks. There are so many colors in those bricks! So, I changed the outline to a dark green and added shading to try and marry the two levels of detail.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2014, 10:01:14 »
Please don't apologize, it looks much better now.

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2014, 23:56:30 »
3 days pass, and here is my contribution to Tileset 2:

• Added single block grass tops.
  • Added background cave tiles (including one with a hole for no reason)

Edit: Now I have an update for #3 as well, basically adding a bunch of flowers in the grass.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:01:28 by Fubaka »

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2014, 04:39:12 »
So, I'm unsure about the rules. Can I go again since there was that 3 day pause before Fubaka went, or should I wait another 3 days? :huh:

Anyway, I added something to tileset 3. I hope these walls are in keeping with the look. I was trying to make a larger version of the main ground pattern.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:47:01 by egomassive »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2014, 04:56:59 »
So, I'm unsure about the rules. Can I go again since there was that 3 day pause before Fubaka went, or should I wait another 3 days? :huh:

Anyway, I added something to tileset 3. I hope these walls are in keeping with the look. I was trying to make a larger version of the main ground pattern.

That wasn't my initial plan, but since the 3 days passed, I'll just say that the player waiting list resets.  Also, I like your addition.

Love anything

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2014, 13:00:18 »
Another three days passed, so I added a tree into tileset 2.

Edit: Tileset removed.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 23:09:32 by Polana »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2014, 14:27:06 »
Another three days passed, so I added a tree into tileset 2.

That's an amazing tree!

Love anything

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2014, 18:07:47 »
You're right. Simply beautiful. If you want you can add also in pink version and will be as in Japan :D

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2014, 19:50:15 »
Thank you both.
I tried more colours and I liked the golden one most of them. Pink one is too sweet for me.
Maybe we could have more versions of the tileset with different tree colours.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 20:40:44 by Polana »

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2014, 20:14:32 »
Each colour looks amazing, for me :)

If you can, please add other trees in small extra tileset (outside "The community tileset"). I would like to use in my next projects each colour of these trees. :)