The Community Tileset Project

• 254 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: The Community Tileset Project
« Reply #165 on: August 05, 2015, 13:38:52 »
I've tried my hand at this and drew an ornamental tree and some bushes (the type you would find in a town plaza). I'm not sure if the final result goes well with the rest of the tileset, though, since my usual style seems to be much more "borderless". What do you guys think? I could try and make a different version with darker borders.

Edit: Removed the old tileset to comply with the rules
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 21:10:11 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #166 on: August 05, 2015, 18:26:29 »
Hmm, not quite what I had in mind, but I think it will do just fine.

I finished the pale yellow ground, and added a floor covering that resembles the brickwork that Vegetal Gibber did. This covering can be placed over any ground tile, but care should be used to ensure that floor solidity is maintained when using it.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2015, 22:19:57 »
Finished my background buildings. Added corner tiles for Fubaka's floor covering.

Edit: I started an interior version of this set. :^^: Should be able to use walls, doors, and windows from the outdoors set.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 20:32:31 by egomassive »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2015, 00:58:08 »
Ah, good idea. Sadly, I have no ideas for the interior tileset yet.

For the exterior, I added a whirligig in a different position, a larger chimney (possibly for jumping into) and alternate windows with curtains in them.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2015, 06:29:27 »
Since this is my first time doing this, I decided to go the easy route by doing some grass/pebbles. Let me know if you need anything changed/moved.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2015, 14:32:55 »
Nice! An interior version will be a very useful addition :) I'll try to come up with some material for that.

Not a new contribution from me yet, but I read in a previous post that you guys were originally shooting for an "old abandoned town" vibe. Taking this into account, I edited the tree a bit to produce an older looking, less vibrant version. Do you prefer the original tree or the edited version?

(I used the ground tiles as a background for the preview to improve the visibility)

I can give the bushes the same treatment if you prefer this look.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2015, 17:36:51 »
Here's an addition from me. I made some ground blocks for the houses in the far backgorund.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 15:21:23 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2015, 17:45:22 »
SC and Firecat, I really like your additions!

Vegetal Gibber, I think I like the more faded tree better.

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #173 on: August 06, 2015, 19:47:23 »
Nice! An interior version will be a very useful addition :) I'll try to come up with some material for that.

Not a new contribution from me yet, but I read in a previous post that you guys were originally shooting for an "old abandoned town" vibe. Taking this into account, I edited the tree a bit to produce an older looking, less vibrant version. Do you prefer the original tree or the edited version?

Honestly, I think it would be a good idea if we had both, given that the town is not necessarily abandoned and that knytts could still be attempting to water the trees, but that in other parts of town it isn't as well kept.

Also, I added a contribution to the interior tileset, basically adding 3 colors of back-wall, the other side of the roof, an interior window and a floor tile.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 20:10:00 by Fubaka »

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #174 on: August 06, 2015, 21:29:53 »
Added yellow/blue version of the house shell for set 5.

Not a new contribution from me yet, but I read in a previous post that you guys were originally shooting for an "old abandoned town" vibe.

Set 4 was initially inspired by the ghost town from A Strange Dream, but no one has put anything dilapidated in it so far. I think it's become what the ghost town might have looked like if it were still flourishing.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:24:48 by egomassive »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #175 on: August 06, 2015, 22:31:40 »
Honestly, I think it would be a good idea if we had both, given that the town is not necessarily abandoned and that knytts could still be attempting to water the trees, but that in other parts of town it isn't as well kept.

I think that would be a more versatile solution. If nobody fills up the empty space left in set 4 with some other contribution, I'll add the faded tree and bush next time.

In the meantime, I made some cobwebs for the ceiling and some light sources for the interior tileset, based on one of the decorations Fubaka made for set 4 (two lamps for the ceiling and three more for the background walls).
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2015, 05:43:15 »
Just filling in duplicates on set 5.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:00:06 by egomassive »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2015, 06:18:20 »
I added some stairs, floor bookends, and a background floor tile for the first house, then I made a windowsill for the second house. Will probably do some duplicates on my next turn.

Oh, and FYI, the stairs look like they can't be walked up, but 1% opacity pixels ensure that they can be.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2015, 11:01:31 »
Oh, and FYI, the stairs look like they can't be walked up, but 1% opacity pixels ensure that they can be.
I love that trick.

Here's my own contribution. Bit boring, but I felt like the houses would benefit from a concrete/stone foundation in some cases. Also, I used 9 tiles, but since it's so close to finished and this will likely be only contribution I figured nobody would care too much?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:43:42 by sergiocornaga »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2015, 11:12:34 »
Here's my own contribution. Bit boring, but I felt like the houses would benefit from a concrete/stone foundation in some cases. Also, I used 9 tiles, but since it's so close to finished and this will likely be only contribution I figured nobody would care too much?

I'll let it slide this time, but don't make a habit of this. You never know what that extra tile could be used for.

Love anything