The Community Tileset Project

• 254 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: The Community Tileset Project
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2015, 20:00:13 »
(Also I removed the old unfinished projects. I hope nobody minds.)
I'm actually sad to see them go.

Do you still have them, cause if not, I can send them to you.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2015, 20:15:54 »
I would suggest keeping the skull set and marking it as finished. Its end was caused by a lack of ideas on how to continue it rather than anything else so it seems to me it should be considered complete. In fact if I may be so bold I'd like to use my last edit of that set to name it 'Valley of Dry Bones' and mark it finished.

As for your parkour idea, it's not what I had in mind but let's wait and see. ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 20:18:07 by Talps »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2015, 20:31:34 »
I would suggest keeping the skull set and marking it as finished. Its end was caused by a lack of ideas on how to continue it rather than anything else so it seems to me it should be considered complete. In fact if I may be so bold I'd like to use my last edit of that set to name it 'Valley of Dry Bones' and mark it finished.

Hmm, I'll re-upload those two as Abandoned Projects then. I really can't bring myself to call the bones one finished, since by all technical accounts, it wasn't. You can now find them both under the Past Projects spoiler tag.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2015, 20:38:02 »
Thank you!

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2015, 21:22:20 »
I'm actually sad to see them go.

Yeah, it's a shame, really. Looking at it, I feel (abandoned) Tileset #5 could have some potential if the art style was consistent.

But, oh well. That's in the past. ON TO THE FUTURE!!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2015, 11:27:36 »
I really liked what this set had so far, but I just couldn't decide what to contribute. I'm afraid of doing anything that may steer the set in too specific of a direction. I played A Strange Dream to take a look at the graphics that inspired Talps. The original village is sparsely decorated; nothing but buildings, a tree, and some grass. There is a small variety of houses, so here is the beginnings of a slightly different house.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:58:27 by egomassive »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2015, 12:10:52 »
Ah, very good. I finished the house you started and added a lit window for the first one.

Love anything

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2015, 20:15:11 »
Added open doors to the houses and part of some ground blocks.

Ego, altering the set in a specific direction is, I think, what this thread is about. Everyone adds what they would see as useful if they were to put the set in a level, and the set's theme rises out of that. If people are too shy to make their mark on the product then the result is likely to be less useful. Steer it in the direction you see as useful, and even if there's a bit of push and pull from different directions the end result should have a useful core and some interesting extras.

To the end of letting this evolve from eveyone's ideas, I am resisting the temptation to say what I feel it should include.

Edit: In retrospect I think the land I added is paler than I meant it to be. I'll maybe make it darker later today when I have time.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 19:53:26 by LPChip »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2015, 21:15:45 »
I filled in the remaining land pieces and the rest of the lit windows.

I've pretty much been 'Fill-in-the-Blanks' Dan so far, but if I were to be so bold, I would suggest that we start working on background tiles at this point.

Edit: In retrospect I think the land I added is paler than I meant it to be. I'll maybe make it darker later today when I have time.

Well, I think I like it the way it is right now, but if you think it looks better that way, go ahead and do it in your next update.

Love anything

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2015, 21:19:13 »
I've posted my updated ground blocks. Which do you all think is better?

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2015, 21:27:32 »
I've posted my updated ground blocks. Which do you all think is better?

I still like the lighter one better. Given that the houses are kind of desaturated, it would make sense for the ground to be as well. Gives it all kind of a dusty arid feel to it.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2015, 06:15:34 »
Background houses at 50% transparency so they work for day and night. I have the rest of the yellow house on standby, so feel free to do your own thing Fubaka. :p
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 22:23:49 by egomassive »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2015, 08:22:49 »
Background houses at 50% transparency so they work for day and night. I have the rest of the yellow house on standby, so feel free to do your own thing Fubaka. :p

Thx m8. I wouldn't have had fun trying to match the opacity you chose anyways.

I added a couple of chimneys, my signature sign, and a little whirligig thing for background use. I also started a secondary ground square, which I will probably finish on my next turn.

Also, I should ask. Are we planning on having the foreground houses be in layer 3? If so, I don't think people will be able to get into the open doorways drawn on the left side. We might want to change those so that they are side doors instead.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:26:15 by Fubaka »

Love anything

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2015, 09:05:42 »
I'm tempted to work on this tileset, but I'm not sure what to add. Maybe some background buildings or something?

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2015, 10:48:28 »
Maybe some tileset classics like trees, grass, hills...

And think about what other features you might see in our village. Try googling villages of the culture you think our houses resemble. Don't want to suggest anything too specific; think about it yourself.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:57:05 by Talps »