The Community Tileset Project

• 254 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: The Community Tileset Project
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2014, 17:51:00 »
Working on some clouds to finish this off! And done! Achieving a versatile cloud set with only 8 tiles was pretty tough, but I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish.

I'll give someone else the honour of naming it, mainly because I don't feel like dealing with tiny pixel fonts right now.

Edit: Tileset removed.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 15:46:24 by sergiocornaga »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2014, 21:08:47 »
I've given a name to tileset 3. I didn't manage to get my mushrooms added back in, but I think all the additions made are excellent.

Here's my idea for Tileset 4. The concept was basically this: spinal-column = column. I hope I'm not messing anything up by starting with decorations.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:38:42 by egomassive »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2014, 06:12:54 »
I've given a name to tileset 3. I didn't manage to get my mushrooms added back in, but I think all the additions made are excellent.

Sorry about that. Maybe your mushrooms can be added to a future tileset. Maybe even this one!

Here's my contribution. I felt obligated to add bones as the author of the bone tilesets in Knytt Underground.

For future participants: The bone ends have übertransparent pixels so that Juni can climb them smoothly, but don't worry about preserving these, they can always be added back in at the end. Also, the outlines so far are very dark blue, not black! Wait... maybe I should have interpreted that as 'these aren't solid objects' and changed the colour palette for my bones...?

Edit: While contemplating the solidity of egomassive's tiles, I decided it would be cool to have the option of crawling all over them, so I made a second version of the tileset with an übertransparent tile for demonstrative purposes. Place the spinal column on layer 2, then overlay the invisible tile on layer 3 to see it in action! I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 19:52:08 by LPChip »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2014, 06:39:41 »
I didn't manage to get my mushrooms added back in, but I think all the additions made are excellent.

Hey, if you post them as a separate graphics file, I'll add it into the Tileset 3 spoiler box, so people can still use them.

Edit: While contemplating the solidity of egomassive's tiles, I decided it would be cool to have the option of crawling all over them, so I made a second version of the tileset with an übertransparent tile for demonstrative purposes. Place the spinal column on layer 2, then overlay the invisible tile on layer 3 to see it in action! I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Personally I don't think it's entirely necessary, because the spinal column almost fills the square anyways.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:41:33 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2014, 08:04:33 »
While contemplating the solidity of egomassive's tiles...
Well, I meant for my skulls and column to be purely decorative. I suppose the outline is dark enough to make that questionable. I like the cartooniness the outline adds. It makes it less grim.

Here's the elusive mushrooms I made for set 3. Available in the top post.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:22:45 by egomassive »

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2014, 14:55:00 »
I added vertical bone and another part of spine with sacrum and coccyx.
This tileset is going to be pretty cool and original.

I don't think Sergio's invisible tile is necessary because we have invisible objects.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 19:52:26 by LPChip »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2014, 18:07:02 »
I added vertical bone and another part of spine with sacrum and coccyx.
This tileset is going to be pretty cool and original.

I don't think Sergio's invisible tile is necessary because we have invisible objects.

Okay, does that mean you do or do not want to use his tile in your contribution?

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2014, 18:09:36 »
I don't want to, but I don't mind having it there.

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2014, 18:20:31 »
I don't want to, but I don't mind having it there.

Ah, but see, I didn't include it in the (Latest) post because it was unnecessary and it broke the 8 tile rule.

As such, if I could get you to replace it with something of your design, I can then add your contribution.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2014, 04:38:10 »
That's terrific Polana! I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this. The middle 2 sections of the spine are repeatable in case you want to use them as support pillars. With Polana's addition that may not be necessary anymore. A heads-up, I plan to make a mirror of the spine and large skull on my next turn.

On the topic of the invisible tile. KS+ has invisible blocks of varying width, but original KS only has the full width block. Sergio's invisible tile would allow the spine to be climbed in an ascetically pleasing way in original KS. The main problem with this idea is without foreknowledge of the invisible tile, your average designer isn't likely to figure it out.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2014, 20:57:59 »
A long time ago on the forum, we had an experiment. Several people volunteered to make part of a tileset. Without seeing what the others made, each filled their area according to a blueprint. The project director then put all the pieces together and we had ART. :O Well, I always wanted to turn my part into a full tileset, but I went with a painted look that never worked with any of my projects. As such, I'm not sure it will appeal to the people who participate here. We'll see what happens with tileset 5. :)

PS: The plants are modular.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:20:59 by egomassive »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2014, 01:21:09 »
That looks incredibly neat, but I'm not sure I could come even close to matching that style.  I'll see what I can do on the bone tileset.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2014, 14:44:58 »
I agree. will be hard to keep consistent quality on that one.
I'm also wondering if anyone have suggestions for the bones and skulls tileset, what direction should we take? I don't wanna take my turn and ruin someone's vision.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2014, 17:10:05 »
I'm also wondering if anyone have suggestions for the bones and skulls tileset, what direction should we take? I don't wanna take my turn and ruin someone's vision.
I wouldn't worry about ruining someone's vision. As long as what you make matches what's already there, I'm sure it will be fine. At this point I think it could become a hell, a catacomb, a vampire castle, a ghost ship, a battlefield of giants, etc. Also, everything doesn't need to be made of bone.

Edit: It's been 4 days or more for both sets. I've created a partial ground set for tileset 4. Tileset 5 now has middle-distant trees.

Note: The verdict is still out on what exactly Polana's contribution to set 4 is. I've included her 7 tiles but not Sergio's 9th tile which she considered part of her number though she thought it was unneeded.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 16:35:28 by egomassive »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2014, 03:46:44 »
And, here's another update from me. More ground tiles and another skull for set 4. removed image
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:55:15 by egomassive »