[Challenge][Hard][Small] Journey Through a Soul

• 5 Replies

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
[Challenge][Hard][Small] Journey Through a Soul
« on: February 15, 2014, 08:50:55 »
Well hello, m'friends.  I'm here once again with a preview of a level I'm working on.  I don't know too much about where it's going or how it's going to work out, but we'll see, eh?  It'll most likely have that "James Vaughan vibe" of some crazy story about summat or another and of course have some wacky secret area that pulls you from that story for just a moment or two.

Well, onto the screens!

Also, a shoutout to bulbapuck for this awesome tileset!
Teeeheee

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge][Hard][Small] Journey Through a Soul
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 18:48:54 »
Screens look good. I guess it's an underground level, right?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 18:52:46 by CWolvie »
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 00:53:18 »
My first reaction to seeing this is that both the nonpassable area and the passable area are black. I would make the area where you walk slightly brighter to clearly distinct where you are and where you aren't. Perhaps a dark shade of gray that is darker than the background objects, but brighter than black itself would do. About 3/4th towards black and 1/4th towards the gray color you are using. Maybe use a texture if filling it is too much.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 18:43:33 »
I think they look pretty awesome as is, though when LPChip tested one of my levels he found the dark contrast on his monitor stopped him seeing some areas clearly, so maybe that's what's giving him problems.

Possibly make patches of background appear behind Juni from time to time, just to add a little contrast? Hope that adequately describes what I'm thinking of. Either way, from the screenshots it looks really good... though the green bird looks rather out of place in a dungeon.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 19:52:33 »
Oh, it doesn't give me problems. I can clearly see where you are supposed to go. But I think it'll look better if the inside is not the same as the outside, similar as how its done in Knytt Underground, Saira, Night Sky, etc.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 14:24:37 »
I can see what LPChip is saying.  I'll try a few things to make it look a bit better!  Thanks for the feedback, m'friends!
Teeeheee