[Environmental/Challenge][Small][Hard] Starwalk

• 11 Replies

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
[Environmental/Challenge][Small][Hard] Starwalk
« on: January 02, 2014, 22:59:39 »

A little thing I threw together over the past couple of days. (Don't expect quality; it was more of a warm-up.) Made using Egomassive's great KS+ level editor, but playable in normal Knytt Stories.
I'm not entirely sure whether it's deserving of the Hard classification; its challenges are tougher than those of The Machine on its Normal setting, so that's how I'm justifying it.

Download it here! And have fun.

(edit) A note about the credits: One of the custom tilesets (the one consisting only of a cave entrance) is made by "Semeurim," which is me from 2011. Feel free to use the cave entrance or telescope graphics however you wish, credit not necessary.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 23:09:15 by Kasran »
grao!

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: [Environmental/Challenge][Small][Hard] Starwalk
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 07:17:28 »
This was really nice. I hope it is a prelude of levels to come!

Offline Kasran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 16:56:45 »
Hey, thanks! That means a lot. I figured I'd make a small level with some small challenges using some of my favorite tilesets, that's how it started.

I originally meant to use your Vestiges tileset more in the level, but alas...
grao!

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:06:04 »
Nice game! I think this is definitely a hard level; a lot of the jumps were basically trickjumps. There were some very nice looking screens in this as well.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Kasran

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 20:58:17 »
Aaaa thanks. <3 I guess I just have a fondness for trickjumps and the like; there are some much harder ones in a couple of my old unfinished levels, but they're mostly just for accessing secrets.
grao!

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 19:14:05 »
I like this. It doesn't seem that hard to me, but that might be because I'm just used to way more difficult games/levels being labeled as hard.

+ Pretty
+ The world design feels somewhat unique.

Offline Kasran

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 19:44:52 »

Thanks for your feedback!
grao!

Online Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 10:40:12 »
Pretty 'n' fun. Though if I'd fallen down that pit after getting out again I may have destroyed all humans. Making it escapable with the umbrella would have gone some way to ensure I didn't blow up the planet.
It's a small thing, though, and would only affect me if I'd been clumsy (it happens to us all occasionally).

The jumps were not quite frustrating though it was a fine line at times. I had some good 'aha' moments, like in the screen with the umbrella, where I realised things weren't as impassible as they initially appeared. I really liked how you displayed the pop-out-spikes and unclimbable walls before they became dangerous - that was really well done, so... well done!

Intro and outro were basically pants, though.

Still, 'twas fun. You did a really good job of teaching the players the internal rules, the difficulty was constant and well balanced and the atmosphere was great (apart from the intro and outro, which were mood-killers).

Offline Kasran

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 21:47:31 »
Ahh. Thanks a lot for the input on the intro and outro; I wasn't sure what to do with them and they were sort of eleventh-hour additions anyway. I mostly just wanted to inform the players of what it was they were supposed to be doing.
What could I have done better, so I can keep it in mind for future endeavors?

I'd have to put some critical thought into figuring out how to make the pit escapable with the umbrella, haha. But that's a great suggestion!

And thanks for the kind words. I'm honestly as proud of my ability to actually do some of those jumps as I was of being able to create them. The umbrella one was probably one of my favorites.
grao!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 00:19:42 »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 23:34:51 »
This is an awesome level. I liked the music and hope you make more levels. Nice atmosphere you created.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 17:29:53 »
Cute little level. Challenging but never frustrating.