Question relating about the Umbrella.

• 7 Replies
Question relating about the Umbrella.
« on: December 27, 2013, 18:43:59 »
 Is it possible to change the sounds of Juni opening and closing the umbrella? The world or level that I want make has Juni using a disk that is placed above her head instead of an umbrella. Are there any Knytt stories mods that are capable of performing this action.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Question relating about the Umbrella.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 01:33:41 »
This is not possible in KS+.

KS Ex may be able to do it, but I don't know for sure.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 19:59:11 »
Yes, it's possible in KS Ex. Use Player Sounds folder of Standard Frames.
If you're using a custom character you need to just put sounds you replace into its folder. They'll be used automatically. See http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=5635.
If you're using just Juni, put "Player Sounds" folder into your level folder, press Ctrl+D in Level Editor Ex and type
dofile(WorldPath.."Player Sounds/load.lua") there.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 20:05:17 by GrayFace »

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 02:54:09 »
  Thanks, but I'm probably going to give up on trying it. I might try to use KS Ex someday but at first glance it looks far too complicated for me. Also, I've grown attached to Egomassive's mod for it's simplicity and I couldn't sacrifice the triggers and it's use of having custom objects behave like objects in vanilla KS. Still, the rising lava in your demonstration example is what I need for my world. You two have a star.  :P2

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:36:16 »
Thanks. If you want custom player sounds and rising lava, then KS Ex is the way to go. I believe you can now start a level in original KS, upgrade to KS+, and then upgrade to KS Ex without much trouble. Also, GrayFace is very good about answering scripting questions.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 18:56:30 »
   Now on a completely unrelated question because I do not want to bother creating a new topic because I'll seem personally awkward to me.
Are these considered Knytt Stories bugs?
 There are 2 bugs involved with the objects in the Bank 2 Object 18, 19 or who I called them, the Thunder Relics.
Its too hard for me to explain but I'll try to explain it in steps.
1. Let Juni activate a shift that takes her to a screen with those 2 Object. If the shift brings her within the range of their attack box. They'll unleash their attack, but Juni would'nt get hurt.

2. In KS+, Make Juni use her hologram. Then, make Juni trigger a trigger that spawns a relic with the hologram within it's attack box. The relic will unleash their attack and it will hurt the now invisible Juni regardless where she is on the screen.

So are these 2 bug? Or is it just my files?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:17:04 »
2.) Nice catch on the second bug there. Most enemies that attack when they detect Juni kill by touch, but the elementals simply activate the death routine. The inclusion of Triggers has opened the door to this unexpected issue, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it a bug. You, as a level designer, have the power to avoid the issue or exploit it for cheap deaths.

1.) After teleporting Juni is invulnerable for a few frames. This invulnerability is built into the death routine. Most threats would kill Juni anyway since she'll probably still be touching them, but since the elementals call the death routine directly she avoids death. Again, I wouldn't consider this a bug. Just like wall swimming, it is the designer's job to avoid these kinds of problems.

Other interesting facts about elementals:
  • They will not kill Juni if she is close enough to the screen's edge, 18 pixels from her center.
  • The kill zone follows the equation: (X distance + Y distance) < 67, which creates a diamond shape.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:22:46 by egomassive »

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 13:08:10 »
I like the fact that they don't kill you if you shift into them; I've used that in at least one level to make a noisy flash of light.